Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pine Barrens ***OUTSTANDING Weekend***

My son wants to hit the Barrens to see if we can snag one of those lizards we saw last year.I'll be going for an overnight camping stay in the Batso camping area.

I'll have to check the calender but for sure we'll be doing an entire Saturday of trail driving and if there's company along we'll do some water action too.

Who'd be up for a run either this weekend(doubtful,but still being considered),or the weekends of Aug. 27/28th?

Google search Pine Barrens and check it out if you're interested.I'll post links and add some info later.Just getting the twigs in the pit.I'll torch the big logs later.Ciao.

Cool.

As mentioned,I'll be camping with Luc at the Batso camping area.If you go north of the ranger station on 206 to the next right turn,follow that to the end and go right,the camping area is on the left.

I'd normally cook breakfast but the diner is best this year.

oK,date set,we'll be there or my son will hate me.:lol:

Just got back from a good 90 minute++ session of trail driving.Did some fishing,spotted two large bucks.

The main trails right now have ripples that'll drive you crazy if you have a headache.Fortunately,I didn't,and I managed to drive in the softer sides and center ridge.The center was high and fin shaped,most radical!!

I avoided the thick areas since it was just me and my son.

Gotta say,it's a great place to be.Today,the weather was perfect.

See you next week or so??

Paul man...you were like 5-6 days early! Ya nut

If we weren't at Atko racin' we would've joined you, but again the date is set for 27-28th now are you comin' again or what?

I'm def. going...school starts in 8 days so I'm getting it all out of my system before down time.

I'll be there,sweety...just doing a quick warm up and having some fishing time/nature time with Luc.

So,we're calling it Saturday the 27th,that's THIS saturday.

We'll be camping overnight Friday.Maybe Saturday too,but I won't stay long on Sunday if we do.

Red Lion Diner at the intersection of Rts. 70 and 206!!! Meet for breakfast,say around 9-9:30 as usual???

I'll be there,sweety...just doing a quick warm up and having some fishing time/nature time with Luc.

So,we're calling it Saturday the 27th,that's THIS saturday.

We'll be camping overnight Friday.Maybe Saturday too,but I won't stay long on Sunday if we do.

Red Lion Diner at the intersection of Rts. 70 and 206!!! Meet for breakfast,say around 9-9:30 as usual???

Awesome! Last time I saw you it was...well, it was the top of your ride on your way to Frackville. See you this weekend.

Sounds like a plan :D

Hey Paul, do you have any EA81 front 1/2 shafts lying around that you want to get rid of. If so, bring 'em along.

Nothing I can get my hands on that's definitely EA81.Sorry Dave.

Last time I saw you it was...well, it was the top of your ride

That was funny!!! Nice looking top of the car you guys had there too.Sorry I didn't have that extra milisecond to say hi. :)

That was funny!!! Nice looking top of the car you guys had there too.Sorry I didn't have that extra milisecond to say hi. :)

If you were a little faster and we were a little slower then we could've met at the dip in the wall.

Connie darlin' I'll be calling you this week! No phone tag this time.

OKee doh kee...

We will defintiely meet at the Red Lion Diner at the intersection of rts. 70 and 206 Saturday morning around 9AM.

We might bail out on the Friday night camping,just because of the traffic.We'll see.

Either way,count on me being there.

Thanks to Frank for leading most of the day!! Good to meet him.He's a great guy for a young Baja owner.:)

Dave and Melissa,thanks for showing up when you could have gone to the drags,etc...you guys are always fun to be with.

To those of you thinking of going to the Pine Barrens sometime with us,or on your own,it was a near perfect weekend for us.The trails are much more interesting now than when we first started going there as a group in 2001.All it needs is some water to make it as little more fun.

Saturday,we tore up the trails driving some of the hard packed runs at speeds over 45MPH!!,at times.Dust was the only drawback.

Today,Luc and I did just about everything we wanted to,and amazingly,we hit trails that we did not get to on Saturday!

I got stuck for about 2-3 minutes.Before burying myself deeper,I was smart enough to get out of the car and dig a little,wedge a tree limb under the rear wheel,and get out fairly quickly.Sucks when you're stuck with a 7 year old miles into the forest,so I'm thankful for getting out quick.I've got the Park Ranger number on my phone,just incase.;)

Today's list of critters found or caught:

Lizards-got some extreme close ups of one little guy,saw another up close,and another fairly close.

Deer,on Monday we spooked two big bucks,Saturday saw 2-3,and Sunday another 3.They REALLY spook easily and run far and fast when happened upon.Not at all like the deer up here closer to the cities and suburbs.

Turtle,nice shell,cool designs on the "tiles" of his shell.Bright orange and black pattern on the legs.

Toads,very cute,pudgy,all were short,not much bigger than a tree frog.No fat toads like in the fairy tales,or former pitcher for the Yankees.

Praying Mantis -sure,we've all seen them,but they are getting more rare,I believe,and it was my son's first.

Hawk -kind of looked like a red-tail but was lacking the brightness in color on the tail.Flew right over us while we fished,being chased by a few smaller birds,like starlings.

My son took in a fish that I'm still not sure what kind it was.It had no scales and was much like a brooktrout.BUT,this fish had a W I D E mouth with seriously sharp teeth.The longer teeth being on the lower jaw.

We also saw an ant that was super bright orange and was rather large.

Lots of interesting insects down there.And,we saw some colorful minnows in the river too.Not just the silver sides like we're used to seeing up here.

The Pine Barrens is a very interesting part of the east coast.

Thanks for reading.Hope you can make it next time.

Cheers!

Lots of interesting insects down there.

You can say that again ;-) hanna Melis :(:)

It was a great time out, got to see alot of areas we hadn't been in before, thanks Frankie.

Paul, something you forgot to mention in your list of critters was the exciteable stallion...

It was so awesome. I'm going to invest in a mounted camera because the footage just can't be described. I had a ball riding with everyone and driving the Brat, but mostly driving the Baja <thanks again Frankie...you rock!>

The trails were dry so we had to search for mud, but oh what fun when we found it!

205591801_l.jpg

The tower was extremely cool too. I didn't want to leave.

The horses :lol: yeah that was something wasn't it <Frank rubbing the horses nose> "Ya think he likes this?" <hocrest> "Yeah...I think he likes it alot!" Then another horse started stomping it's hoof and kinda snorting:lol:

Being the only girl I had to trample through the woods to find a bush and ended up with these little buggies on me...never doing that again:grin:

Can't wait til the end of the month...that's ganna be 1 of the places Frank and I venture to.

As soon as possible PICs will be posted.

Hey guys. Thanks for coming down my way. I had a great time! Luc was funny Paul. Thanks for letting me ride in the back of Becca. She beat me up a little tho. I'm still sore on Monday. hehe

Pics.

usall9ou.jpg

At Stewart's Rootbeer place for a quick lunch, being all dust covered by now.

163vl.jpg

What lies ahead

39zf.jpg

Behind me

55wq1.jpg

Becca making some dust

becca50an.jpg

Paul hittin the trail

110wk.jpg

Paul playin the the MUD!

paul37sw.jpg

The tower way out in the middle of the woods

tower5or.jpg

Some of the view

high35xj.jpg

One of Luc's finds

turtle3cy.jpg

Thanks agian guys. Come back anytime.

Glad you all had fun and thanks for posting the pics. Weather looked outstanding and what a view from that tower.

I don't blame you for staying out of the mud! Dry trails? Awsome! I hate mud now! Much rather be on a dry forest trail or some dry rocks :drunk:

Maybe If you got Mud Terrain tires you would like mud.:drunk:

Has nothing to do with the type of tire. MTs work great on the rocks and dirt too; wish I had a set :D but not for the mud!

Here's some examples why I hate mud:

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/usmb/i_hage_mud_01.jpg

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/usmb/i_hate_mud_02.jpg

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/usmb/airbox_mod_befor.jpg

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/offroad/apr05_gilbert/Offroad/PICT0025.jpg

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/offroad/apr05_gilbert/Offroad/PICT0026.jpg

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/offroad/apr05_gilbert/Offroad/PICT0027.jpg

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/offroad/apr05_gilbert/Camp/PICT0074.jpg

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/offroad/apr05_gilbert/Camp/PICT0072.jpg

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/offroad/apr05_gilbert/Camp/PICT0071.jpg

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/usmb/STUCK.jpg

Worst parts: Sucking the junk into air filter... yum. Clogging 1/2 or more of the radiator causing you to run warm on the trail all day. Filling up bellhousing (and subsequently the clutch assembly) with the crap and then having it dry in there, fun! Now I get to clean all the stuff off before my next repair; last time I spent $10 at the self-serve car wash and still had to chizel (yes, chizel) off pounds of the stuff.

I hate mud :mad: Honestly I loved it when I first started offroading. Couple years latter I've done a 180!