Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The new USRM is ready.

Guest SubaruJunkie

Guest SubaruJunkie

www.usmb.net/repair/

The New USRM is active. When the new USMB is here, we will be able to take info from there and add it to the USRM. For now, i have seperated everything into catagories, and have as much information on there as I can add for now.

-Brian

Guest MilesFox

I like the layout. looks very graphical and clean.

some of the stuff could be a toss up to wether or not it would be in a certain category, or listed as a mod.

I would like to contribute a write up or two, such as axle replacement and off-the-side-of-the-road repair procedures and get-me-home fixes. Described im y self learned techniques and methods that worked for me, the budget dont have money or fancy tools aproach.

Looks very good and easily navigable.

I noticed there wasnt anything in the "lubrication and maintenence" but i think the subaru maintenance schedule from the owners manual for Gen 1, ea81's, and ea82's would be good starter content. and then go into whatever specific schedules for such as rallying or off-roading, or other "use specific" applications

the "specifications" icon: say you could "paraphrase" from the haynes book, enough to avoid copyright, the haynes book has torque specs and fluid volumes. i wrote some of it in a tables format, and i could throw it at you if i can find it, it was a pain to write it up!

It looks like you got some serious work on the layout. but suppose you could have all the categories for general service and maintenance, and then have the same layout for a mods section, and cover all the mods there

for example "CV, diff, and transmission: there is a lsd conversion article. Have an article on how to remove the diff and re-install it under the general service section

and then have a seperate mods page with the same category, and have the ring and pinion swap listed under that.

that way anyone new to subarus will find it more comprehensible, and the die hard guys can find the mod stuff right away

just trying to give some positive critique from a reader who is not familiar with the board point of view.

looks promising!!:)

Guest SubaruJunkie

Well, the main goal was to have it organized, and uniform. Every article looking the same.

What you are looking at is not a real "webpage" persay, it is a PHP script that is self managing. If you look, there is a "manage" button. the admin can login, and add, delete or edit anything on there.

All the information there was mostly converted from the old USRM. Took me hours to do. THere is still alot more to do, but that will have to come later. I am always interested in new stuff miles, do you still have Yahoo instant messenger? Try to contact me and we can make arrangments to add any information you wish, or i might be able to offer you admin rights and you can always add it yourself :)

As far as the catagories, the LSD Swap can be found in both the Tranny section labelled "Transmission, CV's and Diff" and also the Modification section as well. No need to have a whole bunch of catagories and sub catagories.

-Brian

Guest MilesFox

I know how painstaking and time consuming it is to put any kind of web content together, especially when "reformatting" existing content. It's good for the time being, but if we can get a LOT of new content then what i said would apply. but by the time so much accumulated, the next version would be due out anyway.

i got a lot of content of my "secret website" mostly my old and forgotten geocities stuff, and compilations of subaru pictures that no one has seen yet. i hardly ever get to work on it, and it seems like every time i do i am trying to get the old stuff to work properly, and just get too much started at one time to ever get anything put together.

! am at my sister's right now, they dont have messenger installed, and they dont want me to download anything new, and they got some dvd crunching going on as i speak.

but we can do emails, and if i get my hard drives back i can throw some content at you. maybe some admin priveliges will be nice, but i'll let you decide once you see what i got.

i got enough to launch a website if i could find a host. mostly my old "miles Fox's Car Page" has been re-done in ms word, but my subaru stuff needs put together. i got the content, but no structure. I want to get out Subaru Alliance on the net to give us a presence, because we are really the only ones somewhat organized between the hatch patrol and paul moosens. There is still a lot to be spoken for that no one really knows about yet.

Guest SubaruJunkie

Regarding images, i have setup a gallery for the USMB as well. I can give you an account and you can host your images there.

Lets discuss the repair stuff via email. There is a link on the new USRM with an email address. Use that for USRM stuff.

-Brian

Guest SubaruJunkie

What you see is what you get. There will be no more catagories. We can have multiple articles in many catagories. We can also have sub-catagories, but that most likely wont be neccessary.

Thanks

-Brian

Guest GeneralDisorder

I too have lots of pictures, and would like to do some write-ups for the repair manual. I've taken many pictures of my 2WD to 4WD conversion, and I'm sure they would be helpful to someone. I've also got better (I think) pictures of my Weber install, as well as hi-res pictures of the manual that comes with the official Weber kit.

I could also help with whatever on the site - I know HTML, PHP, MySQL, XML, XSL, XSLT, etc....

GD

Guest ShawnW

This interface is such an upgrade from what I was doing the old one on.

I think after a little while we will have a general idea of how you should submit info to us to make it easiest to integrate to the page.

Brian did a killer job with the icons they are a lot of fun, very professional, and really add a spark to the page that it has always needed. The ability for myself and Brian and Mick to update it is also going to make things much quicker to see submission. Our new board with the search feature will make finding the relevant topics and merging them into one good article will also be helpful.

This "migration" project took on a huge size very quickly when somethings got decided. The change of ISP's for ultimatesubaru.org, the change of readers rides being on photos.usmb.net to take care of space issues and solve all the user management of their own photos area along with merging the msn subaru club page into one concise area.....just so many changes for the better all at once.

Be patient with yourself in learning the new layouts and be patient with the administrators and moderators, and you will find things have really turned around in a quick timeframe and all on a volunteer basis too. Amazing team we got here.

-Shawn