Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What are Subaru GSR and GLS

Guest Shadofax96

Guest Shadofax96

I keep noticing that on the list, GSR. What is a GSR? Specs or pics or both?

My mechanic was telling me about a '73 GL S he had once. Said the only imported them for two years because they couldn't pass emmissions easily. He told me that thing hauled some serious tail. Had dual carbs 10:1 compression not 4wd though. I'd love to see one anybody got some pics?

Guest moosens

GSR-Subarus first Rally car.Won Puerto Rico 24horas in '72

Won't see any unless you find the one or two that were grey marketed.

Anyone else with more info?

Guest PaganQWA

I seen a GLS on the road the other day actually! I thought I had just read it wrong or it was another car but it distinctly looked like an EA82 sedan with a funny little spoiler (the super low profile ones... just a speed bump on the trunk deck really :lol: ) and it said GLS on the right side.

Couldnt get a good look tho... she bolted down the road never to be seen again :(

Guest PaganQWA

hmm looking at those pix McBrat posted I guess it must have been a GL-5 sedan cuz it didnt look like any of those.

So whats this GL-5, a wussed out GL-10 ?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest subarugsr

i own a restored metallic blue 1972 subaru GSR coupe. It is a dual carb 1400 cc 4 speed, with a factory top speed of 105mp/h. The back quaterlight windows do not roll down, those are only found on the GFT model. If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask.. i wish i could show you a photo of mine but i do not have one on my computer when i do, ill post it on here:)

Guest subarugsr

The picture posted is that of a 1974 GSR, the 72's and 73's were slightly different, in having a factory standard stage one cam.

Guest Adam N.D.J.

The GL-5 was the phase in model between the Gen 1 and Gen 2's. They looked like a gen 2 but has gen 1 guts, with one exception, the new FWD 5-spd tranny, hence the GL-5. Weren't really spectactular, still had an ea71 in it. You could a 1980 GL-5 and it looked just like any other 82 or new cars. When I got my first one it baffled me, cause the VIN and all the ID plates said it was an 80, but from what I new the gen 2 body style didn't hit untill 82, but I did some research and found it was transistion model. Catch ya Laters.