Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm new, some info...

Hey guys I'm new here. I have an 85 Suby wagon 4wd. I read somewhere that the suspension is adjustable manually? Is that true? How do I do it? And also I read that it has a hillholder clutch? Whats that?

Also, is it easy to replace the manual tranny fluid? What kind does it recommend?

Thanks guys.

The 1983 owner's manual has an item called Vehicle Posture Adjustment to adjust the front and the rear ground clearances (suspension ride heights). Apparently the adjustment requires a special wrench. The adjustment is too much to completely describe here. I can photocopy the pages if you want them.

Here is a link to a very good description of the hill holder

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=26033#post26033

The 1983 owner's manual specifies 80W, 85W and 90 weight API classification GL-5 gear lube depending on temperature. It indicates a capacity of 3.2 US quarts for the 4WD manual transmission. Hopefully someone else here can give you more information.

Dave Wood

I'm not sure your wagon had the adjustable suspension. I have only owned the previous body style.

But,

If you have the adjustable suspension you could tell by looking at your front struts. The adjustable ones will have two bolts on each side of the spring saddle. These bolts compress and decompress the spring allowing you to change the height of the (front) car.

On the rear suspension, if you have it, it will be a bolt facing up in the center of the vehicle on the rear trailing arm crossmember. It will have a rubber plug in the chassis to allow you to adjust it from the top as you can't really see it from the bottom of the car.

Would someone with an EA82 wagon please fess up and answer this...

The 1983 owner's manual has an item called Vehicle Posture Adjustment to adjust the front and the rear ground clearances (suspension ride heights). Apparently the adjustment requires a special wrench. The adjustment is too much to completely describe here. I can photocopy the pages if you want them.

Here's the 'special tool' for the front struts

PICT0121.jpg

your partly right sweet82 but to ajust the rear jack the rear end up to let the pressure off the rear struts now with the wheel off look at the bottom of the strut there is a stair step looking part at the bottom the center of the strut it should be on the bottom step to move it up just turn the strut at the bottom spring sattle

My 86 ea82 4x4 wagon has coilover back shocks that are like old motorcycles.There is a ring around the bottom of the shock that has notches in it that ride on pegs on the shock to adjust it. You should have special wrench but i just took top mount bolts off and losend the bolt on top of shock that losend the spring then turned that ring with channel lock plyers. Of course you have to jack up car and remove wheels.Only drawback is the axles ware faster and the inside of tires in rear ware faster. The front are the same as described above thread. Have fun and rotate tires often from the front to rear, I didnt and set of tires only lasted a year. Side note it gave me an inch and a half of lift!