Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First rendering of the new 7 seater? Thoughts?

Apparently, this is the 7-seater sketch that appeared in a japanese auto magazine. The original picture was HUGE and spread across two images. i went ahead and shrunk it down and photoshopped the car together into one image.

Anyway, I posted this in another thread, but had a lot of problems trying to get this image up correctly. I figure that this warrants a new thread. So, what are YOUR thoughts on the design of this new vehicle?

post-674-136027585059_thumb.jpg

it looks like the Saturn SUV. Hopefully the real thing will look more impressive than the artist's rendering. Have to wait and see. :o snooze Well, maybe a little less "slab-sided" than the Saturn. Thanks for taking the time to rework the image and post it. It's cool to get a preview of it.

The looks don't really excite me. I see design elements of so many cars when I look at it, but I can't quite put my finger on it. It doesn't look like getting in and out of the back will be easy, though it is hard to tell. Looks as if the rear seats will have limited head room and foot room. It just doesn't look big enough for seven people.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a bigger suby. Hopefully it will be priced within reach.

I know, I sound so negative. I just think they could do better. That thing looks so ordinary, so similar to what I see on the road. I like the looks of the current gen so much better. I can tell a car is a new gen suby from so far away that I can't tell which car it is for sure. I don't get that feeling from that car.

ok, let me have it...

Originally posted by MorganM

That's a pretty neat... minivan :-\

Yeah a 7-seater car based SUV is nothing but a minivan in SUV disquise in my book. I remember hearing about Subaru talking about making a minivan a few years ago. Well here it is but they are now calling it a SUV because they know it won't sell if they call it a minivan. This thing is too mainstream just like the rest of the so called SUV's. Why should I buy this over a Lexus RX330, Acura MDX, BMW X-5, Volvo XC90, Mercedes ML420, Volkswagen Toureg, Nissan Murano and probably several others I missed that Subaru is trying to target. Subaru needs to make this a Subaru not another mainstream poser SUV.

Well... if I'm not mistaken, Subaru's SUV would be the only one out of the vehicles you mentioned, other than the fugly Volvo, to have all-wheel-drive AND have 7 seats!! Being based on the H6 engine is another plus!! Sounds good enough for me...

With the exception of the swooshed fender lines it's the current Legacy body scaled up to fit the 7-seat scale.

All the cars mentioned before that "It looks just like a ..." are similar because they're designed to fit a platform that seats three rows. Throw in aerodynamics and they are going to look pretty much the same, it's the old mission driven 'Form follows function.' scenario.

If you look at the current crop of cars across the board, except for the retro botique cars like the Mini, New Bug and that awful Honda stagecoach thingie they ALL look pretty much alike.

I agree with you that it looks like every other sudo-SUV out there. But Subaru has to do something, it doesn't have any vehicles that seat over 5. I know many people that wanted to get an Outback but ended up with a SUV, or a Volvo, or even the new Passat cuz they needed the extra two seats in the back. Subaru is about the only company that doesn't have a vehicle that seats over 5. The only probably is that Subaru is going to be the last on the market, hopefully it will be the best.