Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Inspection troubles

WoodsWagon

My 4" lifted wagon is putting most of the local inspection stations in fear. Four of them refused to consider inspecting it, reasons ranging from I can't take the liability too, "you totally modified the frame, its not safe anymore." I found one guy willing to give it a look and he called up the state for some clarification. The state gave him the "connecting you to another department" runaround for half an hour before telling him it was legal as long as the bumpers didn't excede 20" off the ground. Which they are at with the stock tires on. He plans to give the car a full inspection wednesday and hopefully it will pass. I didn't reallize I'd get this much B.S. from inspection stations, I mean there's loads of lifted trucks kicking around with stickers on them. It almost seems this is the first lifted passenger car that the state of New Hampshire has seen. Anyone else have a hard time getting a sticker for their lifted rig?

No emissions yet thank god. THe only "emissions" style thing is that the check engine light can't be on.

Unfortunately, the wagon is classified as a passenger vehicle, so the bumpers can only be 20" off the ground. Trucks are alowed 30" With the stock tires on and a few cinder blocks in the back, I will be able to pull off 20" With the mud tires on, I'm at 24 inches at the bumper.

so wednesday when you go for your inspection.make sure you have your stock tires on with cinder blocks in the back an for good measure air down just a bit.

besides the height of the bumper,will everything else pass?

i always worry when it comes to inspections.

good luck

It Passed!

worked like a charm. The guy laughed and said that now I could go home and throw the illegal tires on. I put 200 miles on the car in the 10 day grace period and another 50 on it today. I also took it booning and found out just how bad I need the Low Range tranny. Fair bit of smoked clutch getting out of a valley.

The nice part of having a unique car in this area is the amount of thumbs up I've been geting from other drivers and pedestrians.

Glad someone with more than half a brain was able to get you properly inspected. Modified the frame? Did you tell that guy there is no frame and non of the subframes are modified at all? Liability? What liability? It's perfectly legal!

Don't let those ppl push you around with their ignorance. Make them do their job :drunk:

It Passed!

I also took it booning and found out just how bad I need the Low Range tranny. Fair bit of smoked clutch getting out of a valley.

Congrats, and the D/R tranny is teh hotness, got one in the DL, best mod i ever made, well besides the lift and swampers