Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hella Optilux 2020's

Numbchux

I've had these little buggers for for about a year now, and I love 'em. they're small, black, and bright. They're combination driving and fog lights, 2 bulbs per light, same bulb, just different diffusers, one short and wide, one narrow and long...

I had 'em mounted on the top of my bumper on my '85, and now have them in the turn signal slots on my '88 (rewired the turn signals to the corner parking lights...) and will have mounts built into my front bumper, when I can afford to get that.

anyway, here they are on my rig:

3242PICT1765.JPG

and a nice pic where you can see both bulbs and they're different diffusers:

3242PICT1766.JPG

here's a link to hella's page about them: http://www.hella.com/produktion/Optilux/WebSite/AuxiliaryLights/DrivingLamps/Model_2020/Model_2020.jsp

and I got them from JCWhitney.com for about $60 shipped.

anyway, the only drawback is the switch it comes with, is DPDT, so you can only have one set on at a time. well, they come with 2 independent circuits, relays and everything, so I went to radioshack and bought some little toggle switches, and mounted them under my radio (along with one for my roof lights, and one for my rad fan), so now I can have them both on at the same time. it's nice! highly recommended!

I have those in the air dam of my '93 Legacy and love them. My only complaint is that the lens crack very easily. One rock hit and they're done. I'm going to try to get new lens or else buy a new set of lamps...I like them that much. But next time I'll protect the lens with this plastic stuff I have that's like that sold by Hella to protect lamps.

I have those in the air dam of my '93 Legacy and love them. My only complaint is that the lens crack very easily. One rock hit and they're done. I'm going to try to get new lens or else buy a new set of lamps...I like them that much. But next time I'll protect the lens with this plastic stuff I have that's like that sold by Hella to protect lamps.

really? I've had them awhile, and no problems...though before they were above my bumper, and they're still up pretty far from the ground, maybe that helps...mayb I'll look into that too.

really? I've had them awhile, and no problems...though before they were above my bumper, and they're still up pretty far from the ground, maybe that helps...mayb I'll look into that too.

Yeah unfortunately my lights must act like rock magnets down there in the air dam. Guess it must be the location. I've had them on there for three years and both lenses are sand blasted and cracked. But I love them when they work. Thanks for posting the link to the Hella website. I'm going to call customer service and see if I can get new lenses.

Regarding switches, I would not recommend the Pilot brand "mini bug switches." That's those small black oval stick-on switches with the push button and LED. I used two of these switches for my lights and both switches crapped out within a year (and yes I was using them with relays.) The clicker gizmo in them just plain doesn't hold up to normal use.