Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Forester with 4" lift and 29" Super Swampers

Forester_Ranger

dude, thats a sweet looking ride. glad to see a newer rig with a lift on it, i have been wanting to get an outback and do something like that to it. i do have a question, i thought that it has been stated in an earlier thread that a phantom lsd won't work in the ea82 transmission. if i'm wrong then thats my next modification on my list.

dude, thats a sweet looking ride. glad to see a newer rig with a lift on it, i have been wanting to get an outback and do something like that to it. i do have a question, i thought that it has been stated in an earlier thread that a phantom lsd won't work in the ea82 transmission. if i'm wrong then thats my next modification on my list.

we did have issues at first and it didn't work because we weren't useing the side spider gears. But with a little modifing with shims and replacement of the spider gears it now works. Mudrat knows how to do it know. So you'll have to ask him about the details. I haven't been very impressed with the performance of the Phantom grip though. I was spinning one front wheel the other day on a trail. I also changed tranny oil after a couple thousand miles and my drain plug magnet was covered in fine metal shavings. I also noticed recently that I have to use the parking brake to park the car or it will roll. The tranny will not hold it in gear. If I were to do it again I would try a Cusco LSD or just run open diff.

we did have issues at first and it didn't work because we weren't useing the side spider gears. But with a little modifing with shims and replacement of the spider gears it now works. Mudrat knows how to do it know. So you'll have to ask him about the details. I haven't been very impressed with the performance of the Phantom grip though. I was spinning one front wheel the other day on a trail. I also changed tranny oil after a couple thousand miles and my drain plug magnet was covered in fine metal shavings. I also noticed recently that I have to use the parking brake to park the car or it will roll. The tranny will not hold it in gear. If I were to do it again I would try a Cusco LSD or just run open diff.

so in other words your transmission is eating itself from the inside out in an extremely rapid fashion? I mean.... if it won't hold itself on a hill in gear, that's really bad..... I'd try and look into that and see why it's shredding your gears, and see if there is a way to slow it down or stop it altogether... seems like if you don't you're going to be replacing that newly installed transmission a lot quicker than you hoped to be

so in other words your transmission is eating itself from the inside out in an extremely rapid fashion? I mean.... if it won't hold itself on a hill in gear, that's really bad..... I'd try and look into that and see why it's shredding your gears, and see if there is a way to slow it down or stop it altogether... seems like if you don't you're going to be replacing that newly installed transmission a lot quicker than you hoped to be

It's the Phantom Grip that's generating all the metal shavings. Ppl complained about them wearing out fast. Clutch type LSDs work off friction, friction is producing the metal :(

which level of phantom grip did u use? the street one might not be the best choice, i'd go with something along the race lines.... of course you could go for a cusco, but be prepared to spend huge amounts of money, and im not sure if it would fit in an ea82 tranny....... the last i looked at prices, $1,500 was the cheapest i could find...... i'd rather try a stronger phantom grip instead........ just my opinion though....

I also noticed recently that I have to use the parking brake to park the car or it will roll. The tranny will not hold it in gear.

Wouldn't this be the case of the larger dia tires? You have changed the overall ratio making first gear like second. This is really an issue of compression and gear ratio.

d.

Wouldn't this be the case of the larger dia tires? You have changed the overall ratio making first gear like second. This is really an issue of compression and gear ratio.

d.

No. I first noticed it when I had the vehicle up on jack stands to install the lift. I couldn't get the front lug nuts loose because I couldn't hold the front wheel still and it was in gear. I had to lower the front end on the floor just to get the lug nuts loose. After I Put the lift on. I tested it in the driveway by releasing the parking brake in gear and it would roll then catch then roll and catch again. I'm hoping this is a normal thing with the phantom grip and not my tranny gears being eaten up. I Haven't noticed any slippage while driving around in FWD though.

This is making me kinda glad I didn't opt for the LSD on my D/R. Not that I think Phantom Grip makes a bad product - the FWD Nissan crowd swears by them - but I'd guess that they're mostly made for street use and not heavy trail running.

Oh, and AMAZING FORESTER! I'm so jealous.