Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'05 OBW Punch it at 65mph and get nothing but engine rev

Four-month-old '05 OBW with auto tranny, driving on freeway at 65 MPH (not in 'sport' mode), controlled romp on the gas to pass, tranny kicks down but nothing really happens except a leap to 5,000 RPM. It's like the tranny is just sitting there spinning.

There is NO increase in power or speed, just an increase in engine/tranny RPM. This thing just sits there and spins like a 5,000 RPM idle. In fact, I can play a tune on it using the gas pedal and my speed/power remains the same.

Is this a normal attribute for a '05 O.B.W?

My old '98 Legacy would jump up and go!

Juan

your outback is still under warrenty isn't it???

thats something few of us get to enjoy...:rolleyes:

but if you check the fluid and nothing is wrong there then i would go a knocking on subaru's door...:brow:

home all goes well...

your outback is still under warrenty isn't it???

thats something few of us get to enjoy...:rolleyes:

Mainly because our cars have already far outlasted the warranty, while continuing to run great (and regularly spank much younger cars. . .)

with 170K miles on the ticker, I have been out of warranty for how long now? :grin:

with 170K miles on the ticker, I have been out of warranty for how long now? :grin:

not long enough! hehe... i wonder if my 79 came with a warrenty... and if so what kind??? how long??? hmmm... something for a different thread... go to the dealer man!!!

Thanks for all your advice. Will check the tranny fluid ASAP.

Have Wednesday off and will make appointment and demonstrate to service at dealer.

Do I have to take it back to where I bought it, or would that just be the best thing to do? i bought it WAY out of town.

Juan

Nope. The warranty is with SOA not the individual dealer. Don't waste your time checking anything other than the reality check that you have a warranty. Get what you paid for and if they can't fix it on the spot, get a loaner car and drive it until they remedy the problem or in the worse case scenario, replace the car under the "lemon laws". A friend actually just got his 05 replaced under this law after a month of failed attempts to fix his Subie. There will be certain cars out of a production line that end up being the runt of the litter but there is nom reason that you should be stuck with it. Good luck and report back.

Thanks for all your advice. Will check the tranny fluid ASAP.

Have Wednesday off and will make appointment and demonstrate to service at dealer.

Do I have to take it back to where I bought it, or would that just be the best thing to do? i bought it WAY out of town.

Juan