Ultimate Subaru Message Board

drilling rotors for venting?

i am going to pick up a set of new rotors for my hatch, but before i put them in i am going to stick them on the brigeport and cross drill the hell out of them. they are solid, and im hoping this will keep them from warping again. does anybody have any reason this would be bad? sould i have them turned afterwards?

uhh, don't, actually.. I have a guy in Spokane that I need to get some subaru info to.. and he takes lots of meaurements and plots the drilling pattern on autoCAD to avoid the vanes in the middle and such. It could affect the balance and cause heating or warping, I'd think. Good idea though..

DON'T DRILL THEM!! You will weaken the disc considerably.

I know Porsche and Mercedes are now producing road cars with drilled discs, but a lot of engineering expertise has gone into determining the placing, diameter, and number of holes.

You can drill "blind" holes, ie. not all the way through the disc, if holes are what you want.

Slots are a far better option, and you only really need four slots per side - any extras are just for show and eat the pads really fast.

Speaking of which, what pads are you using? Many cases of brake judder stem from overheated pads that deposit material randomly on the disc surface, not "warped" discs.

I strongly recommend Mintex "Red Box" pads. They aren't the best in terms of ultimate power, but they stand up to considerable torture without breaking down and can be used daily.

One problem you'll run into when drilling the rotors is the fact that you will be decreasing the mass of the rotor. Decreasing the mass will make them more susceptible to warping. You would be best off having them cryogenically treated.

Legacy777 on the new generation board is has done some research on this topic, you may want to email him to get more info.

Guest taprackready

If you adjust the rear brakes properly it helps a great deal in preventing front brake warpage. Most people don't adjust the rears and will replace front pads 3, 4 times before the rears even start to wear out.

Just a thought

Bill

Originally posted by archemitis

that doesnt sound right... i think im gonna give it a try, they are $15 dollars a piece. whats the worse that can happen? they will warp agian?

The worst that can happen is they will explode under hard braking. Maybe even causing an accident. Cross drilling OEM discs lessens the available suface area, effectively lengthening your stopping distances. Most full blow race cars like those in the JGTC even have only slotted rotors now.

Your best bet is to get some Brembo OE replacements. Brembo uses superior alloy to begin with. If warpage is your main motivation, take $100 bucks and have them cryo treated. This does wonders for fade resistance and warping. Check out Cryo Science for more info.

• 9 years later...