Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Manual Transmision Torque Binding???

This board seems to have many links on AT (automatic trans) torque binding but not for the MT (manual trans.).

I have a 99 Subaru Outback Wagon with a 5sp. MT and 56Kmiles. It shudders as if binding when making a tight turns (left or right) but only after driving the car for a while (20-30 miles) and seems to get some what worse the longer I'm on the road. I took it to a mechanic I trust and he checked out all the CV joints and the drive train and did not find anything wrong. He said 4WD cars sometimes do this and not to worry.

After reading the posts here I'm getting worried. I have fairly new tires (<10K) and keep the pressure up but have not checked the circumferance (will do tomorrow). I was having a problem with one of the old rear tires going low all the time so maybe I burned up my VC (viscous coupling)??? I have read conflicting reports here though. Some say the VC fails open so should not bind, but other say they replaced the VC and the problem went away. Who is right???

I'm quite sure I am experiencing a binding problem as the symptoms are identical to those described for the AT and I trust my mechanic to check all the obvious causes. No one has posted a good explaination for why a MT would have this problem even though I don't seem to be the only one with it. Any help??? If I'm going to drop a grand to fix the VC I want to know it's going to work.

Thank

Bill

Had same deal a year ago. New VC unit. $950 for parts and installation. Binding gone.

Unfortunately, the "easy fixes" that I've read many claim for torque bind in their ATs (new ATF, adjusting tire pressure, etc ...) don't do it for the VC in the 5MT. Gotta get a new one o' dem....

Yes, as Texan says, it is likely that a frozen/rusted u-joint would produce some binding issues.

A u-joint doesn't have a constant angular velocity on the output and this creates a kangaroo like motion if it is rotated to far - or some part of it is stuck.

The joint is in free view underneath the car.

By the way, my car occasionally shudders a wheel. Usually at low speed in parking lots. Often while running over some form of debris or manhole cover.

Just a bit of 4WD wind-up undoing itself.

The VC's in 5MT's do go bad. When they fail they usually lock up. Also a failing VC will, for whatever reason, destroy the rear diff if driven long distance. Causes the diff to heat up, have seen the rubber mounting bushings on the rear diff melt from this.

Thanks for the comments. I'll probably get the VC repleced in a couple weeks (going on vacation). I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

BTW a waring to all Subaru drivers with the alloy wheels. I had the tires replaced because they kept going low. The giant tire wearhouse I went to just replaced the tires and did not clean the rims so I had the same leaking problem. Luckly my mechanic friend let me use his shop to pull the tires and clean the rims. The corrosion was some of the worst he had ever seen. With clean rims and rim sealer I have not had any more problems with tires going low. Many of my friends with Subarus complain about their alloy tires always going low so it seems like a common problem. It seems to me if low tires can destroy your VC you really owe it to yourself to make sure who ever replaces your tires cleans and seals the rims (sealing alone won't do it)!

Thanks again and keep the comments comming if any one else would like to chime in. This BB is great!

Bill

• 3 months later...

Ok I finally got around to getting my Outback fixed. I took it to a dealer and suggested it was either a frozen joint or the VC. They agreed that is was the VC. $1000 later I got my car back and no more torque breaking problem. Anyway thanks for the help and I hope this helps somone else out in th future.

Ok I finally got around to getting my Outback fixed. I took it to a dealer and suggested it was either a frozen joint or the VC. They agreed that is was the VC. $1000 later I got my car back and no more torque breaking problem. Anyway thanks for the help and I hope this helps somone else out in th future.

thanx for getting back to us. Sorry it was so expensive. i wonder if the low/leaking tire issue was at fault?

anyway thanx

• 8 months later...

Sorry for draging up old threads but I tried to do the search method but never, or haven't come across a answer I'm looking for??

Experianced the tourqe bind issue (2000 Outback/5sp Manual/55,000miles) while on vacation.

??? Is the viscous coupling sealed or not?? (manual)

Does it share the same fluid as the transmission, or is it separate and can be drained??

I was told.......prior to spending the $1200 quoted, to drain or service the unit but add a friction modifier??

Regards

Sorry for draging up old threads but I tried to do the search method but never, or haven't come across a answer I'm looking for??

Experianced the tourqe bind issue (2000 Outback/5sp Manual/55,000miles) while on vacation.

??? Is the viscous coupling sealed or not?? (manual)

Does it share the same fluid as the transmission, or is it separate and can be drained??

I was told.......prior to spending the $1200 quoted, to drain or service the unit but add a friction modifier??

Regards

Viscous coupling is sealed. The fluid can not be serviced.

Causes for TB on a sooby are mis matched or under inflated tires. Tires need to be within 1/4" circumfrance of eachother. Once it shows its ugly head ona a manual nothing you can do about it.

Do a search on Torque bind, there are hits on manuals and automatics, though more manuals are showing up now as they age. I know there are threads on manuals as i respond to almost all of them.

nipper

Thanks for the reply!! :cool: I'm probably screwed as the car has brand new Michelan's on as of last year. Being I'm an avid motorcyclist, and I'm blaming it on that, I'm almost anal when it comes to tire pressure.

I suppose it could of all started with the last set of tires being run to long on the last rotation??

Anyways............

Thanks for the reply!! :cool: I'm probably screwed as the car has brand new Michelan's on as of last year. Being I'm an avid motorcyclist, and I'm blaming it on that, I'm almost anal when it comes to tire pressure.

I suppose it could of all started with the last set of tires being run to long on the last rotation??

Anyways............

The advice you got, as presented, seems to be odd.

Why would they advise you to try a fluid change since the VC is sealed? I guess the torque bind is properly diagnosed?

Was the car purchased used? perhaps the previous owner did some damage?

Carl

The advice you got, as presented, seems to be odd.

Why would they advise you to try a fluid change since the VC is sealed? I guess the torque bind is properly diagnosed?

Was the car purchased used? perhaps the previous owner did some damage?

Carl

Carl, I suspect the advice was given with a 4EAT in mind. . .

Don't go back to that person! The VC unit is sealed, and a friction modifier will be a waste.

If the torque bind is properly diagnosed, then you need a new center VC.

Are you the only owner of the car? If so, then it is odd that this happened if you watch tire pressure and tire wear.

Yep.......only owner. I do pull a small motorcycle trailer with it from time to time, and it was hot as blazes on the way down to the Black Hills area?

117F in Aberdean on the way by?

Took the car over to the college parking lot last night but couldn't the issue to reaccure. I'll take it for a short road trip and see if it will flare up again. At least I know where I sit now, not a real comfortable chair, :brow: but I have a good idea. $$$$$$$$ fixes everything. :-p

Thanks for the follow up guys. :cool: