Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Failed emissions - HELP

Well seems like my carb needs rebuilt, had it checked by an emissions guy and he says i'm not getting enough fuel in there somehow, its running lean either way I turn the mixture screw. Very weird. Not sure if he's right or wat but he showed me on his emissions computer, he turned the screw from all the way left to all the way right and the HC's were really high either way. :(

And NOTHING works, i tried a couple bottles of HEET and denatured alcohol and that "Guaranteed to Pass" crap AND Seafoam and nothing helped, still failed emissions. He also squeezed the PCV hose and the HC's went down pretty low so I'm not sure wats up with that... And he says i have a miss but says that probably not whats causing the HC's. Oh well. Any ideas?

I'm not sure but a partially clogged fuel filter might be why you're not getting enough fuel. I have absolutely no idea on the other stuff! Although, you said you were failing on the HCs right? So how far down did they go when he pinched the pcv shut? If it'd make it pass, just find a discrete spot and clamp it shut just for the test. If they find it just say you know nothing about it, your mechanic said he fixed it or something like that. :brow:

And he says i have a miss but says that probably not whats causing the HC's. Oh well. Any ideas?
Get a new mechanic; lean does not equate to high HC's. Also, if one cylinder is mis-firing all that unburned fuel goes out the exhaust as unburned HC's. Interesting that squeezing off the PCV gets the HC's lower.

I stand corrected. Hondasucks posted this:

yeah HC is unburned fuel. High HC + High CO would indicate a rich mixture, high HC w/ normal or low CO would indicate a lean mixture. High 02 would confirm this. You could have a plug that's not quite firing at low RPM, or something to that effect that's causing it to misfire at idle, maybe not enough to detect but enough for it to not pass smog. We just covered emissions in class, our AllData software doesn't even HAVE the data for California, it says that since it changes so often it's best to call CARB lol

See, it's not too late for an old dog to learn new things.

Actually high HC does mean lean mixture, I've read that a few times on this forum and the emissions testing place gave me a print out of possible causes and that was one of them.

• 2 weeks later...