Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! Why can't I bleed brakes on '92 Loyale?

I just rebuilt the left front brake caliper on my '92 Loyale. I've tried everything I can think of, but I can't get all of the air bled out of the system. I had another Loyale that I had a tough time bleeding the brakes. I finally got them by doing a "gravity bleed". Put a hose on the bleed screw, put some brake fluid in a jar, and put the other end of the hose under the fluid. Then open the bleeder and let the fluid run through the hose into the jar, and watch for air bubbles in the hose. When the bubbles are gone, then the system is bled. But this ain't workin' on this car. Is there a step I'm missing, or am I way off base? I really need your help on this one, I'm gettin' really sick of working on this car!

I have had good luck with the "one man bleeder kit"

NAPA, Autozone, Advanced all carry it, bout 10 bucks

It is a check valve and a hose.

Remove the nipple and grease the threads (this prevent air from being drawn back in), hook up the check valve and hose and pump slowly.

Hope this helps

• 5 years later...

Subaru Loyale with the HILL HUGGER Clutch system!???

Is it a standard transmission??

I have had some real issues with the brakes on loyales!

the problem seems to be in this system! Usually disconnecting it and spinning the arm that the cable connects around fully while you bleed the brakes, this should get rid of the air bubble that is trapped in this unit!

One of my friends removed it, and used an "automatic trans" brake splitter in that spot... This permantly got rid of the "spongy" brake symtoms!!!

Hope this helps!

vtsuby!

Well, just some thoughts I'm throwing out.

I've never had success bleeding brakes on these cars without bleeding LF, RR, RF, LR. In that order.

I have unhooked all hillholders, worthless to me.

I gravity bleed every time. And that's been a lot of times.

Doug

I've done brakes on these a few times, and don't recall any particular difficulty getting them bled afterwards -- bunch of repitiion, and I've generally used the tube from the bleeder valve submerged in the cub of fluid method. Hillholders, or not. I have noticed however that most of them have a little mushy brakes... so maybe I'm not getting them fully bled -- my '82 GL for some reason has much stiffer brakes than any other old subaru I've owned... who knows.... and yes, it does have the hillholder still, though some of the ones with spongy brakes have not had it any more... ?????