Ultimate Subaru Message Board

All the warning lights---

aross the bottom of the dash came on today! Just before everything lit up red, the tach got a bad case of the twitches. The needle was twitching like a tweaker coming down off a long run. Also, voltmeter in dash is now reading like 8 volts, revving motor makes no difference. However, now tach needle seems to to be working better! WTF is going on??

I'm like super busy right now with a huge carpentry project, didn't have time to do more that pop the hood and wiggle the battery terminals. They seem tight.

Edit: Ok, I just went out and cleaned the batt terminal, to no avail. Tach seems fine now, but she's only running on like 8 volts.

I'm guessing I've fried an alternator, but that's just a guess.

Any ideas apprecieated.

Thanks

Pyro

When mine went out a few weeks ago, no lights came on, and the voltmeter just slowly began to drop, until at roughly 9 volts it wouldn't run anymore. Funny that I didn't get any lights. Also, of note, the idiot lights didn't light with the key in "run" either. With the exception of the CEL. It did light in "run".

I popped in a spare alt today, and all seems fine, though I only had time to drive it a mile or so. Hope it was just that the alternator was old (it was) and not something else that "caused" alternator failure. (I don't even know if that situation is possible)

thanks guys,

Pyro

• 7 years later...