Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel pump issues.

My fuel pump on my SPFI Ea82 is really loud, always has been. With the carpet and interior stripped out of the back, I can hear it really well while driving. My problem is, I can hear it whine in tune with the turn signal. I didn't think that the load of the turn signal would be high enough to interupt the power to the pump. I'm almost wondering if I have a bad connection to the fuse block, because I have noticed that I can dim the overhead light to the beat of the radio when its cranked up. What are your thoughts?

My fuel pump on my SPFI Ea82 is really loud, always has been. With the carpet and interior stripped out of the back, I can hear it really well while driving. My problem is, I can hear it whine in tune with the turn signal. I didn't think that the load of the turn signal would be high enough to interupt the power to the pump. I'm almost wondering if I have a bad connection to the fuse block, because I have noticed that I can dim the overhead light to the beat of the radio when its cranked up. What are your thoughts?

Look at :

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38952

I read your post but I don't get it. How does adding a relay and fuse in line reduce OHM resistance to the cirucut?

I have the same problem described... turning on signal makes EVERYTHING on the accesorries circut wax and wan in time with the signal... or turning on my headlights draws everything else down... :(

I would check the charging system and make sure that all the connections are ok and the battery is being charged like it should be. Also check the fan belt for correct tension and fusible links for good connections. If the battery is slightly low on charge it will cause this kind of thing to happen.

Fuel pump is either going bad, or there is restriction in the fuel lines or pick up screen in the tank, putting exessive load on the fuel pump.

Stock radio? Otherwise the alternator probably can't handle the draw of an after market stereo system.

My battery is good, new and putting out 12.6-.8 volts at rest. The charging system takes it up to a steady 14.5v. What I'm wondering is if the feed to the fuse box is bad and all the chassis electrics are starving for current.

Turning on loads doesn't draw down the battery voltage, but the voltage at the fuse box is a tad lower, 14.2v. the headlights aren't dim or anything either, and I just moved the engine/tranny ground straps to new, good locations.

In my opinion, a small load like a turn signal shouldn't affect any of the other circuits on the car. The pump may be well on its way out though, and I just replaced the filter to solve a high load loss of power issue I was having.

The problem with the lights may be due to a bad ground. An easy way to check that is to make a long jumper lead with some 10 or 12 gauge wire and tie one end to the negative battery post. Then place the other end on other suspected bad ground spots. If the jumper improves the performance then you need to work on the ground points.

mine all do it. I put Carter fuel pumps on both DRTYGRL and RUZILLA, now thats a pump you can hear. I used the original wiring for DRTYGRL and it is very obviously going up and down with the turn signal. RUZILLA's started out on the original circuit and it would warble too. I put RUZILLA's on a relay to the battery and there is no veriance with it. Unless you are having a problem with it ie dieing, no fuel etc. leave it be. Tim

The problem with the lights may be due to a bad ground. An easy way to check that is to make a long jumper lead with some 10 or 12 gauge wire and tie one end to the negative battery post. Then place the other end on other suspected bad ground spots. If the jumper improves the performance then you need to work on the ground points.

Agreed. Things like this are *usually* bad ground related. A good place to look would be where the negative battery terminal cable is connected to the chassis.

-=Russ=-

Thanks. I'll see about running some ground straps from the negative clamp to the body instead of the block. From what chef tim said, it seems to be fairly common. I'm reluctant to run a relay, because the pump controller has a timer in it to make sure the pump isn't running with the engine stalled, which i like for safety's sake. Nothing like fuel being pumped over an already flaming engine.