Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I recently put a fuse in my daughters 96 imprezza (to make it fwd) for a short term fix till she could afford new matching tires. Reading through all the older posts regarding awd and mismatched tires, I'm not sure if I'm causing more damage or not by doing this. Does using the fwd option help avoid damage to the transmission or does it cause damage by being used iappropriatly?

Thanks, Bob

Was visiting a friend in Ft Myers Beach about 4 months ago and his 97 Outback has the torque bind issue. Been thru the dealer thing about 4 times and it just returns. When I was there, I did some reading on the board here and the opinions were somewhat mixed as far as exactly what "long term" is and what type of damage will result. (was concerned about him driving it back to PA with the fuse in)

Regardless, I put the fuse in for him and he was RELIEVED to have it stopped. Shortly after that, he moved back to PA to his summer home driving I95 the whole way and has been driving with it in for at least the last 2 months with NO problems or issues to speak of. When I went to visit, just to see what would happen, we pulled the fuse. Torque Bind was obviously still there but after about 20 miles of driving, was clearly no worse than when we originally put the fuse in. He is leaving for his annual trip to Thailand in a couple of days but I just spoke to him and he now has his eye on the Tribeca.

but wouldn't mismatched tires cause that as well?

Mis match tires can cause torque bind due to wheel speed differences. Torque bind when left alone I think is more likely to cause issues to the clutch plates, rather then the duty c solenoid, but I can't say for sure that the duty c solenoid wouldn't be affected by driving extended periods with mismatched tires.

Mis match tires can cause torque bind due to wheel speed differences. Torque bind when left alone I think is more likely to cause issues to the clutch plates, rather then the duty c solenoid, but I can't say for sure that the duty c solenoid wouldn't be affected by driving extended periods with mismatched tires.

so i keep rpetending that know what the duty c selonoid does...but i don't

and no.. i havn't done a forum search for it.