Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 Loyale 5 Speed Swap

I just purchased a 1992 Loyale with a 3 speed auto. I was in a local junkyard and there was another Loyale with a 5 speed push button and a 88 I believe with a 5 speed dual range. I have tried reading through all the postings, but I am still not sure what is needed for the swap. Reading I would assume the dual range is the way to go. Would it be good to buy the axle shafts? How about the rear driveshaft? I put a NV4500 into my Land Cruiser, but that seems a lot more straight forward. I just want to make sure that I grab everything I need while I am pulling stiff off. Anybody have a list of stuff that they would recommend I grab?

you need the pedal box also,

i believe the drive shaft is the same.

axels are the same

also need the center console that matches the transmission.

i'm in stain paul, mn too.... what yard are you visiting?

im assuming you know about the www.upullrparts.com locations...

also some parts to be had in the yard just north of somerset wisc.

Drive shaft is NOT the same.

You need the trans of course, trans crossmember, shifters, driveshaft, flywheel, new clutch kit, clutch cable, pedal box, and console parts. When you unplug the automatic shifter, splice the two fat black wires in the middle of the plug together so the computer will think the car is in neutral and will let it start. That's about it.

Is your current Loyale a 4WD? That will make the swap somewhat easier. Never gone 3AT to 5MT; I went from 2WD 5MT to 4WD 5MT dual range... since mine was 2WD I had to swap the whole rear end also. As Humble noted you'll need the pedal assembly also cuz you'll have to run the clutch cable assembly. Get the driveshaft from the donor vehicle. I'd go with the Dual Range; single range is just the High Range from the Dual Range. Axles are the same but you might as well grab some spares! :)

My Loyale is a push button 3 speed auto. It is good to know that as long as I stick with a non turbo 5 speed front shafts are the same. It is U-Pull that I was planning on going to visit. I figure even if the transmission has up to 120k miles on it it should still be ok. I will obviously check it out before I buy it. I got the car cheap @$130, so I figure a little work like this is no big deal. Plus it should get better gas mileage than either my Land Rover or Land Cruiser. Or atleast one would think.

Oh yeah the Stain Paul was a typo. I like St. Paul.

This may have been mentioned, but are the final drive ratios the same? I remember someone saying that the autos were 3.9 and the manuals 3.7 or something like that (or am I mistaken - it wouldn't be the first time). The rear needs to match the front or you'll have issues.

Final drive ratios are the same. The Subaru owners manual states that automatics are 3.7, but it is an ERROR.

All N/A cars are 3.9. All turbo cars are 3.7.

When I did the auto to manual conversion in my Loyale I kept the original 3.9 diff, and everything worked perfectly.