Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.7 Ltr Transplant Q's & Advice

1maBrat

If any1 has ever tried this with the Gen1 Brat's I would like any helpful hints on the electrical.

I know enough about electrical to stay away from it. So any helpful hints or the Schematics for the ECM would be very helpful. How to attach it to the wiring harness with minimal knowledge or do I have to change the entire harness ?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Dale

If you manage to get he whole harness from the XT-6, then it's not too hard to do. You will need the entire harness though, as the computer is mounted in the trunk. Then once you get it home, hook up the computer, and the engine to the donor harness. Then just start removing the wires that don't connect to either of those two (lights, radio, hvac, ect...) Take note of what wires go to ground, and what wires go to power. This is important. Also when you pull the wire out of the fuse block, remember what size fuse to use (I think it's a 10 and 15). If you can get a local shop to print you out an "Engine performance, 2.7L MPFI" schematic then this will help you out a lot, as you can use it to trace what wires you need. Then once you get all the wireing pulled out, then you can clean it all up, and put it inside a conduit. Mount the computer where you want it first. Then hook up the harness to engine, and snake it into where the computer is. Then just loop up the excess and store it somewhere. (In a Brat, with the computer in the cab, there will be excess). Then once everything is routed, hook up your grounds, add power, and figure out how your going to do the fuel system.

The fuel system uses high pressure (30-45lbs), and will require a different pump. There are many ways to do this, you can install a "lift" pump in the stock location, and then the high pressure one in the engine compartment, or you can just put the high pressure pump in the stock location. There is a feed and return line. I've heard of many useing the stock lines, but in my eye they are way too small for their purpose. What I did was run a new 2/3's steel lines from the tank to the engine compartment for the feed line, and used the stock feed line as the new return line. If ya have any other questions let us know, we'll try to answer best we can. Lotsa luck with that shoehorn!

http://www.xt6.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1493&highlight=wiring+diagrams

Some diagrams in that thread, they be huge though. Best to copy them to your system and print them out.

Adams advice is good. I have the harness slung about, out in the garage, hanging from the rafters. I spent quite abit of time going over the diagrams and checking them against the harness, then removed what wasn't needed. Take lots of notes, and put lables on the wires that go to things like dash gauges, power feeds, ect..

One of these days, I'll get back to working on the project. Right now, job and our property needs are taking up most of my time.

have you considered an EA82T? with minor intercooler upgrades you're looking at the same or more output than the ER27 and it's smaller, easier to work with and would fit better.

on your ER27 swap definitely use an ER27 wiring harness, splicing into another harness would be horrific, if possible.

if you want power steering you'll need a power steering pump as the ER27 wasn't a belt driven pump.

i would be willing to bet money we will never see an er27 in a gen 1 brat, with a hood that closes, or with normal looking front end.

no room

gettin it runing is the easy part.

when i use xt (4or6) harnesses i just take the part from the engine back to the computer. the part where it branches off to the fusebox can be wired by hand. its only three wires.

i use the vent line as a return line, because the stock return line is about half the size. i also use the stock steel feed lines, with the rubber replaced with efi hoses. and one big pump in the rear.

• 2 weeks later...