Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My uncles's outback just failed its inspection (Virginia) because the airbag light is on and has been on for the last three years. The horn and cruise control still work. I've heard that a non functioning horn/airbag light combo can be a bad clock spring in the steering column, but if its just one of these problems occours, could it still be the clock spring? Thanks for your help!

Has the steering wheel ever been apart for something? I learned that the air bag plug has a little green tab thing that has to be pop up otherwise the airbag light stays on. I found that out after taking my airbag out to install a new windsheild wiper switch.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
Well, my uncle took it to the local dealer and they pulled a code 22 I beleive. Turns out he needs a new airbag control unit and wiring harness. Does anyone have that and a tailgate handle for a 98 outback sitting around?

I just posted a similar problem with my '98 Outback. It has gone through 3 air bag control modules in 7 years, always failing in very hot weather. I suspect something else is causing the modules to fail, but Subaru just wants to keep replacing them ($$$). The service rep said that these modules "never" fail, so I'm interested why mine are.