Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crawl 4 the Cure; Subarus Well Represented! - New Pic Location

MorganM

I wish we had offroad events here in montana. Great videos. Keep it up:banana: . to bad the video didn't show you going over the big rock. Did you? Also what happened when chux couldn't get over that last hill?

Yes I made it over that rock right as the clip was cut off.

I think that's where Chux broke the second rear axle and thats why he didnt make that hill.

I wish we had offroad events here in montana.

Montana 4X4 Association's annual Divid Ride is next week, 13th-17th. Most of the trails open to motorized use in Montana during the summer can probably be done in a Subaru. When I get mine done I'm going to find out.

This type of thing could be done on the local level with the off road club or on the state level with all the clubs working together. Only thing that is needed is warm willing bodys to organize and work the events. The local is club has its hands full with the 4-5 events that we do at the motor sports park. We need more man power!

I would love to see some kind of annual charitable event like this happen here.

Hats off to those who made this event possible and all who participated. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Yes I made it over that rock right as the clip was cut off.

I think that's where Chux broke the second rear axle and thats why he didnt make that hill.

yep, the camera only takes 30 second clips of decent quality, so he ran out of time....but he made it. and yes, that clip was all with a broken rear axle, I broke it at attempt #1 of the first rock in the video, and then as soon as I lost my momentum on that last hill, I was done. had to get dragged up it....:(

I just have to ask chuxs one question about his rear axle!!! Was your rear strut extension turned up to its full length? If it was it puts the maximum amount of force on the rear axle, if you keep it at 4" level (standard length) you shouldn't have had any problems with your axles.

yep, the camera only takes 30 second clips of decent quality, so he ran out of time....but he made it. and yes, that clip was all with a broken rear axle, I broke it at attempt #1 of the first rock in the video, and then as soon as I lost my momentum on that last hill, I was done. had to get dragged up it....:(

I just have to ask chuxs one question about his rear axle!!! Was your rear strut extension turned up to its full length? If it was it puts the maximum amount of force on the rear axle, if you keep it at 4" level (standard length) you shouldn't have had any problems with your axles.

You already asked it in another thread and got the answer; this thread is for the crawl 4 the cure

Just thought I'd follow up on my carnage, I think I figured out what happened. There were a number of things that contributed to it, first off, I found that my strut adjustments werent level, the side that broke both times was a bit higher than the other...oops...note to self...

and another was driver error, I took a picture of the spot that killed my axle (I posted it earlier too)

3242PICT0658-med.JPG

the rock in the foreground was nothing, but the one further down in the trail, even with the tree was what did it. I didn't think I could get between it and the tree (turned out I could, but by then my rear axle was dangling from the CV), so I tried to bump the rock with my right front tire to get over it. well, I didn't get it hard enough, and lost traction before I made it over, and rolled back. so the right rear tire was spinning forward, while I was coasting backward, and then it suddenly got traction again...that jarring force was most definately what killed it, and a similar thing happened on sunday.

Anyway, now I'm very aware of what my weaknesses are, and will be more prepared in the future. It's good to know that if I get in over my (or my car's) head, my axle will fail before anything more serious. And also, that unless it's an exceptionally extreme situation (or a reman'd axle), with those axle angles, the DOJ will just fail, and not break.

I'd suspect that miss adjusted strut extension before the rolling back with the tire spining forward. I kinda figured that it had to be something on that side since you broke two axles on one side and not the other. You saw how hard I was bumping rocks and rolling back in the gorge; no axles broke here! :brow:

Adjust them down and get them even; then lets rage it again and find out! There's some more offroad events coming up if you are interested. Keep your eyes on the mn-jeep forums; the Go-4's are having another event soon and I have some inside info on two more smaller offroad events coming up soon.

• 1 month later...
bump for morgan

Thanks Mick. I was hoping I would be able to edit my posts here. The images are movies are in a folder that has the wrong date (jul04 instead of jul05) I have since copied them all over to the correct jul05. I'll just append a new post here with the new links. No need to fuss with this thread anymore.

New folder with all the images and movies:

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/offroad/jul05_crawl4cure/

Thanks!