Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PAP Lynnwood tragedy

Guest Struculeus

Guest Struculeus

This is a little weird, but I went to Pull A Part in Lynnwood over my lunch break today to check out what they had. (BTW, they have a 83(?) 4x4 wagon there for sale for $750, says it runs, it has a rackima and a mismatched hood, but otherwise looked fairly strait. Said it ran.)

Anyway, I left there around 1:00pm, well turns out around 2:00pm today the 16 year old dude that works there got killed pulling an engine! I guess the engine hoist fell on him. Did anyone know him? I spoke with him a few times, but I didn't know his name.

I guess it's just important to stress (to everyone out there)safety when doing something major on your car. Especially if the car is in the air. I've personally known 2 guys die from cars falling on them, because they didn't use jack stands. My dad lost a toe from a tranny falling on his foot.

I guess it's just a reminder, be safe everyone! PLEASE!

J

Guest GeneralDisorder

Yeah - I will NOT get under a car unless there are good serviceable jack stands under it. A shop teacher of mine almost got killed when a jack stand he had under a cement truck collapsed. And yes - it WAS rated to hold that much. Luckily he had just got out from under it to get a tool, and the whole front brake rotor embedded itself 6 inches into the asphalt. He quit that job later in the day.

Oh - and I always wear steel toes when working too. Picked that habit up from the ARMY. I've seen several guys drop trucks on their feet. The ones with steel toes were fine for the most part.

GD

Guest UltimateRX

Yea, just saw it on the news, and was told earlier by Ed. It appears he was an employee, he and another employee had removed the engine from the car and were moving the hoist somewhere when the hoist fell over onto the guy. The other employee ran and called 911, but it was too late by the time they got there. This is really sad, and a terrible way to go. And although this is really tragic, and I don't mean to make light of the lost, but if a non-employee had been killed, it might have closed the yard, it still might if there was some violation. Man, 16 is too young of an age to end life, what a waste.:( :( :( :( :(

Guest bbbs53

Hi all, safety first. Sorry GD, but if enough weight lands on them steel toes, it will cut them off. I was an ironworker for many years and saw it happen. For light weight stuff, they may help, but they give a false sense of security. I am as sorry as the rest to hear about the sensless loss of such a young life. God's speed to his family, Bradd

Guest SuperRallyVovo

There are a couple young people there, I didn't think any of them where as young as 16! I think u have to be 18 to work there! I wonder if it was one of the nice ones, like the tall blonde guy? Maybe they will release a photo. Really sucks, there engine hoists are so ****ty, I bet thats gonna get them in some big trouble!

Guest edrach

It is sad; I heard about it on the news at 4pm but they didn't say it was one of the counter workers. I was there yesterday and both kids are good kids. Unusual for one of them to be in the yard at all. However, it demonstrates the need to be extra careful. The Lynnwood yard is particularly treacherous since it's not level. All the engine has to do is swing outside of the rectangle of the winch's footprint and it will go over. Never thought of it before (that is scary) but I sure will now.

Guest baccaruda

that's a damn shame. ironic that the worst safety reminders are the best.

I was teaching a friend how to do his disc brakes and an axle and at one point i was under the car and realized "the jack's still there and in the way".. uhh, no jack stands! i zipped out from under the car and fixed that and gave him a safety lesson.. he's a little bit of a newbie though so I went easy on him :D .

it's just a matter of double checking your brain.

Also, I have two pairs of safety glasses.. the beaten up pair in the toolbox for just in case i have to crawl under a car at the yard, and my good ones for when I'm under mine intentionally for a while. dust in your eyes SUCKS especially if you wear contacts like me 8o

Guest edrach

<a href="http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2001502000_webaccident13.html" target="top">seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2001502000_webaccident13.html</a>

Not a lot of detail, but I was there Tuesday along with 84soob and the two kids behind the counter are quite courteous. Hard to believe one of them is gone. I also didn't think they might be that young. Odd, since they never go into the yard themselves; this is a strictly "do it yourself" operation. I'd venture to guess he was pulling the engine for himself. I wonder if flowers might be appropriate.

Guest UltimateRX

OK, here is more info, I talked with Mike and Mendy today at Lynnwood PAP, the kid (Josh McMahon) was working with Mike, they had stopped for lunch, after lunch Josh went back to where they were working, Mike said he'd be right down, by the time Mike got there, the accident had already happened, so he was by himself when the rig fell on him. The rig was brand new, they hadn't even painted it yet. I saw where it happened, the ground there wasn't even close to being level, and there are ruts all over the place. Mike said when he got there, he felt for a pulse, there was a very weak one, but it was easy to tell that the guy would never make it.

For those who wish to know, the funneral service will be held Aug. 23 at 10:30 AM at the St. Thomas More Church in Lynnwood. Donations can be made to the Xtreme Teen youth group at the Eastside Christian Center, for info call 425-455-3278.

Before they can sue, they have to prove wrongful death. Josh did not wait for Mike to return before he continue, and he was told not to do anything until Mike got there. There were several investigators there today when I was there. Mike felt really bad and didn't even want to be at work, but he was told to be there so that he was available for the investigators if they wanted to question him. I feel really sorry about the death of this young man, but I feel that had he waited until Mike got there, he'd still be alive today.

Rob might be correct, I got a phone call from Ed stating that there was a write up about the findings on the accident at the Lynnwood PAP. The state investigators ruled it an accident, but also gave some more info about the accident that I hadn't heard before. Ed said it was in the Seattle Times, the local section on the second page. I don't get the daily Times, so if someone could look it up and report what it stated there, I'd appreciate it.

let me remind anyone that cinder blocks are not good substitutes for jack stands. i have heard stories from my instructor at Ivy Tech that they had collapsed on someone, another story a guy jacked up his ride on blocks, and went in for a moment, and came out to see his ride on the ground.

when using a hoist, lower the motor close to the ground when moving it about