Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Public Flogging Time (Or, what to do if:)

ezapar

*all in fun, all in fun*

Or, what to do if:

I read a post earlier where one of our more prominent off roaders said that he didn't like mud anymore.

Here's why, get this. :-p

1. Mud got in the radiator fins and made it run hot

2. mud got into the bellhousing, had to be cleaned

3. mud got into the air intake

4. it was hard to get the dried mud off the car

1. Water rinsed thru the radiator just after takes care of that. Mike W used to bring a squirter just for that.

2. Water poured into the timing hole while the car is running will clean that out, do it near the time of the mud getting in. Could even save your throw out bearing.

3. DOH! You gotta either cover your intake with something simple like a red rag, or go a little slower thru the mudhole. (maybe spfi isn't all it's cracked up to be) hehe

4. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Join the club, play you pay. (literally) 10 bucks is the going rate at the local pressure wash car wash to get the better part of it off.

I personally think mud is where it's at. We came back from the Rubicon thinking that we could have gone to Walker Valley and experienced the same degree of difficulty, but it would have been wet and muddy. There for funner. I hate dust.

(if the said person is offended, pm me and I'll delete this thread)

I much rather preffer mud over rocks ANYDAY! Way more fun, and alot less harsh on the car. Plus, the mud covering the car gives it class... dust never spoke much for off-roading.

Here in Cali i find alot of the guys who lift their rigs stay as far away from mud as possible. Maybe cause they're sissy-la-la-girls who dont like to get dirty... maybe cause there is no real mud here in california? Who knows... i just point and laugh. These are the same girls who play on rocks all day and build 52" tire running steel cages to crawl .05mph over half-vertical granite slabs all day (snore... boring). Give me mud flinging, tire squeelin 40+mph through creeks and down tree's anyday!!

-Brian

I like anything that isn't pavement. Give me dirt, dust, rocks, sun, shade, dry, wet, ANYTHING. I don't care what it is as long as I get to get away from stupid city drivers. That being said, I like mud, it's way fun. Too bad there's not much of that here in Nevada.:banghead:

Mud isn't hard to clean off. 15 minutes with the garden hose and your good to go home and not get yelled at. ;)

Muddy water is the best, like a stagnant pond. the moses parting the waters effect is worth it.

The only drawback to mud is that you screw up wetlands. But if the mudhole is in a former rock mining pit, nobody really should care.

Haha, I got ripped a new one after coming home with my Subaru covered in mud. Didn't have time to clean it off before the parental units saw it. No car for a week, it was worth it though. I was mad I didn't get to drive it to school all muddy though . . .

Well Zap, seeing as your driving a Toy now do you really have any room to talk?

As far as the brown wagon in question, who shall remain nameless, it is a nice trailer queen. and if the owner is too scared to off road his car, maybe a "liberation" is in order.

Just kidding, both you guys, i'm just jealous it'll be a year before i can come and play.

These are the same girls who play on rocks all day and build 52" tire running steel cages to crawl .05mph over half-vertical granite slabs all day (snore... boring).

-Brian

You should try it before you knock it. Although if your affraid of damaging your self or your rig, and don't like the feeling of large amounts of adrenalin in your blood stream you should stick with the mud.

back to the mud thing. i love mud i can't wait until the rainy season to go out and find a good mud hole to go and play in, my kids love it too they are always looking out for a good mudhole when they are riding around with someone else. me personally i leave it on until the rain washes it off or it falls off, hell there is still mud on it from the last mudhole i found in the woods a month ago.

Clean water in a pump-up pesticide sprayer.

Spray on a few dollar store cans of non-stick cooking spray on before mudding. Most of the mud will fall off and washes off super easy.

Electric pressure washers rock. Price equals 10-20 pay car washes.

Good idea with the squirter; might have to pick one up. Then again thats more weight and junk I gotta carry with me on the trail :( I've already modified the intake to take care of that issue. It was really simple and I havent had a problem since. Best part was it cost nothing to do! Basicly I pluged up the old hole in the fender, with duct tape, where it used to draw air from, unbolted the air box assembly, rotated it 90 degrees, and bungeed it down. Best solution? Naw, but it keeps the air filter clean now :) Might do up a snorkel some day but I'm not keen on huge obnoxiouse snorkles that go above my head. If I'm so deep it's above my head I'd be DROWNING! :rolleyes:

Here's a pic of what I did.

airbox_mod_after.jpg

It's a mud mentality really. Either you love it or you hate it. I've slowly grown to hate it as I offroad more and more. Sure, it's going to be there and I'm going to have to go through plenty of it; but you wont see me seaking out the nearest 'mud hole' to waller in. Maybe I don't like getting lumped in with the redneck mudder truck crowd either :-p

Trust me, I know all about paying to play; I'd guess I spent well over $1,000 to go offroading JUST last year. It wasnt the $10 in quarters that got me; it was the hours of chizeling dried clay out of my vehicle so I could do simple repairs and maintanace. The countless times dried mud would fall onto my face, into my mouth, or eyes. Having junk fall into my dang oil pan when I pulled out the dips stick (yes I tried to wipe it away first!)

Not offended or angry at all; as you said it's all in good fun :drunk: I'm not alone in my hatred for mud and I'll end this post with a quote from a fellow mud hater...

"wheel'n in the mud is a lot like anal sex; sounds like it's a great idea until it's time to clean up the mess" - Rod

Here's some great pics of Mud Moments!

i_hage_mud_01.jpg

i_hate_mud_02.jpg

airbox_mod_befor.jpg

PICT0025.jpg

PICT0026.jpg

PICT0027.jpg

PICT0074.jpg

PICT0072.jpg

PICT0071.jpg

STUCK.jpg

not sure if everyone has seen mud like that crap. its alot of iron, so when it hardens, its very very hard.

one trip through that mudhole, and my tranny stopped shifting well for the rest of the trip.

my motors bigger, so it plugs that hole up better, and i dont get as much in the engine compartment as morganm.

i dislike mud even though my cars brown... go figure.

I much rather preffer mud over rocks ANYDAY! Way more fun, and alot less harsh on the car. Plus, the mud covering the car gives it class... dust never spoke much for off-roading.

Here in Cali i find alot of the guys who lift their rigs stay as far away from mud as possible. Maybe cause they're sissy-la-la-girls who dont like to get dirty... maybe cause there is no real mud here in california? Who knows... i just point and laugh. These are the same girls who play on rocks all day and build 52" tire running steel cages to crawl .05mph over half-vertical granite slabs all day (snore... boring). Give me mud flinging, tire squeelin 40+mph through creeks and down tree's anyday!!

-Brian

I agree 100%

cape_offroad9.jpg

:grin::grin::grin::grin: