Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do I remove rear diff drain plugs?

Hi,

In the past, I have used what is called "key stock", which can be found at most hardware stores. These are small pieces of square hardened steel bar stock and come in a few standard sizes. Hopefully, one will fit. Then, simply apply an open-end wrench and turn.

I know of others (on non-Subaru vehicles) where the square drive of a ratchet will do the trick. You may have to improvise by using shims if the fit is not tight enough.

Whatever you do, please open the filler plug first, not the drain plug.

Regards,

Adnan

1/2" breaker is the standard tool, as far as I know. Here's a tip, too. There's really no need for them to be "gorilla" tight. Just snug. Some teflon tape on the threads aids removal the next time and helps reduce the dribble that results from capillary action of the oil seeping through the threads, too.

1/2 inch drive breaker bar, of course, but also remember to jack up the car as high as you can. That way, You can get enough leverage to break the cap loose. It takes a lot of force. Jack stands work, but a real lift would be ideal.

I wish I had a lift and a big garage. It would make life so much easier...

Matt

Remember not to drink too much beer when working on your sweet-rump roast Subaru.

You might make a mistake and forget to put the drain plug back in before you start to refill it, or you might drop the car on your chest... OUCH!!

I love beer, and I love working on cars and motorcycles, but I try not to do too much at the same time.

If I am going to drink a little.... I will be ok as a mechanic.

If I am going to drink a lot... Well, let's just put those tools away before someone gets hurt.

Matt

Hee Hee!

P.S. I already had 4 beers, so I will not work on the subaru, but I am going outside to work on the 1982 Suzuki GS450.