Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Charge" and "oil" light not working

For the cost of a working alternator you can get at Pull a Part, you'd be better off going that route rather than trying to replace the voltage regulator in your current alternator; besides I suspect your alternator may not be putting out from the symptoms you describe. A voltage regulator will only control voltage by limiting the upper range; it can't make up for drops in alternator output.

Ya cuz my ammeter guage goes up and down when i have my blinkers on... So can the voltage regulator be replaced or just the whole alternator?

If you are skilled at soldering you can replace the regulator for about $30, same with the brushes ($1.50). But, with diodes involved and such, you pretty much need to be somewhat experienced.

There definitely is a correlation between the idiot lights not working and alternator function. I've experienced it, as have others I've read comments from. You would think that with alternator failure you'd get a "charge" light, but it's not always the case. It was explained to me by someone who seemed to know what they were talking about that it has to do with one or more of the diodes burning out and not allowing voltage to the light curcuit.

There definitely is a correlation between the idiot lights not working and alternator function. I've experienced it, as have others I've read comments from. You would think that with alternator failure you'd get a "charge" light, but it's not always the case. It was explained to me by someone who seemed to know what they were talking about that it has to do with one or more of the diodes burning out and not allowing voltage to the light curcuit.

I've heard of it affecting ALL the idiot lights... but just two of them?