Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tapping sound from engine - 2001 Forester

Someone here in the uk is selling "ametech Engine Restore Oil " at £40 ($70 ) a go.

There are all sorts of claims about restoring worn engines back to standard and other impossible stuff . It sounds like a U.S. product .. Has anyone checked it out??

At that price it would have to be good . What's the miracle oil about?

Regards Yewman.

How long does it usually take for the MMO to free up a noisy lifter? On the engine I repaired we ran MMO in it for a couple of hours without results. . .

Granted I did put in a quart when I changed the oil, and it got quieter over time as the engine ran (to warm it up and get the proper level on all of the lash adjusters). Perhaps it is a degree of "stuckness" that was the issue here. . . There may have been a couple of HLAs that were just starting to stick on the left and the MMO cleared them up when running with the new oil and MMO mix. . .

Usually, 500-1500 miles. I put a 1/2 quart in EVERYTHING I own, once every 3rd oil change. No worries about loud valvetrains, or sludge buildup. MMO is a GREAT substance..Air tool oil, Bar and Chain oil, penetrant, works like Seafoam too if you are VERY careful about pulling it in.