Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need to add a snorkel, and a splash/skid plate!

Ratty2Austin

yesterday in the minneapolis area, it poured the rain out like crazy! thunderstorms and flash flood warnings on the news... so i went puddle splashing! :brow:

tonight on the way to the grocerey store, I came across a flodded road, and decided to take the impreza across it as fast as I could (accelerating from the point at wich i discovered it, so it was only about 35mph) and then I went back and did it again... the second time thru though, it must have sucked up some water because it slowed way down and the CEL came on :banghead: it was blinking on and off a bunch, and the motor did not want to run when i was holding down the gas. it would idle just fine though, so it wasnt flooded completely- when i got to the apartment, i took the air filter out and it was completely soaked! so I think its time for the snorkel treatment, and a splash guard/skid plate to cover the bottom of the engine bay....

any of you MN guys want to help me out, with at least an idea of where I can get some of the needed things ( skid plate material? ) or where to get a good deal on parts for a snorkel (ABS/PVC pipe or drainage hose?)

pics of the impreza's recent offroad mods to come soon too ;)

and.. I am still looking for a PS rack!!

Sure thing Austin. For steel I'd suggest Discount Steel up on Washington Ave. in Minneapolis. They have a 'scrap' selection that cant be beat. They also have anything else you would ever need in stock but prices are higher if it's not a 'scrap' piece.

Home Depot should have all the snorkel materials you need. Maybe we can get together and hit up a HOme Depot. I should put a small snorkel on mine also. My current airbox setup works well but its rather ghetto fabulouse :lol:

Maybe we can get together and hit up a HOme Depot. I should put a small snorkel on mine also. My current airbox setup works well but its rather ghetto fabulouse :lol:

(Austin using Freddie's computer)

cool! sounds like one of these weekends we should have a snorkel install day! (and skid plate)

Having that MAF in your intake on your '94 makes it a bit harder to fab a snorkel I would think... You might have to get some 3" tubing and some silcone connectors and try to route it closer to the firewall then have it go up either through a hole in the hood or through the firewall up the side of the window through the cowl area.