Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I haven't decided if I even want to add any gauges but I do intend to keep my new car ('06 WRX wagon) as long as reasonably possible. Given that, I wonder what gauges you guys feel would be most beneficial. probably many of us have been in the position of noticing some slight difference in a gauge and been able to ward off a serious problem. last winter I noticed a slightly lower position on the temp gauge of my Avenger and replaced the thermostat - it was stuck open. I probably saved myself a few bucks in gas as the mileage would likely have suffered eventually - or who knows - maybe some carbon/sludge would have developed.

So, given that nowadays the ECU measures a lot of stuff and an OBDII reader may be enough, I wonder what gauges you guys feel would be helpful to monitor in the long run?

Carl

I think the most under used gauge is the one we all have, the air gauge for the tires. Proper air pressue will increase gas mileage.

HAH! you're right of course. I usually overfill my tires knowing that they may well be underinflated when I remember to next check them.

thanx for hijacking my thread btw ;^)

Carl

Fast thinking, tcspeer! And right on.

How about a fuel guage? I mean one that works properly (Yeah, I drive a '95 Legacy and it has never told me the truth!)

Seriously, Texan, you pose an excellent question. Even if the ECU is controlling everything I, as a human being (nominally), want to be informed of operating status as much as possible. "Early warning" is invaluable.

Oil Pressure would be nice, I really miss that. Oil Temp too.

An Ammeter. Maybe even a Volt Meter.

How about a Vacuum Pressure guage? Never had one but I think it's something I'd like to watch. (Or is it even necessary on a "modern" engine?)

Am anxious to know what others think. This should be a great thread.

I would vote for a voltmeter first : easier to install than an ammeter and as usefull if correctly interpreted. It should give one, amongst other things, a little more advance warning that the alt is about to fail. I built myself one with Radio Shack parts that I pluged into the "cig lighter" receptacle.

Then an oil pressure gauge. Got one of those also. Mechanical.

With the price of fuel rocketing up, a vaccum gauge would help in being less lead footed and is also a very usefull indicator of all sorts of possible problems (vac leaks; faulty valves, rings; clogged cat, etc.) I will probably install one of those in the not so distant future.

Finaly maybe a fuel pressure gauge. Maybe not a complicated cockpit one with separator etc, but a simple mechanical one spliced directly into a fuel line. I got a VDO miniature gauge that's installed just like that. Not expensive. Engine stops: open the hood and you can immediately know if it's a fuel prob or someting else.

My two cents.

I bought one of those chap mini clusters that have temp, oil pressure, and amps. The only one I want is the oil pressure but I had to buy the cluster to get it at 45 bucks. Anybody know which is the oil pressure sender on a 2.5 phase 2? My Chilton's manual seems to have a sense of humor. For example to show how the thermostat works it has a picture of a V8. I would say the picture of the oil pressure sender is from a very early engine. It says the oil pressure sender in on the head in a 2.5. Is it right?

Yeah, my very first thought was a voltmeter - then I thought an ammeter would be better but didn't know if they existed. Seems like here in Texas - a battery does well to last 3 years and some idea of when it was getting weak might be useful - dunno if ALL failure modes would show themselves but maybe overcharging would show itself? I dunno.

Another thing I've always felt was odd is when folks want to measure something but then have now way to make a change or do nothing with the information. I suppose I can see where a boost gauge or a vacuum gauge would be useful for controlling the lead foot. And might also point out probelms developing - what? I dunno. And is there really any useful reaction to - say - oil temp?(is it just a redundant coolant temp indicator?)

this could be an educational thread for me - keep 'em coming!

Carl