Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am currently looking for some ideas and to share some ideas on how to modify the 91 legacy n/a 2.2L. Here is what I have done so far...

• Knocked out cat convertor and put on high performance muffler (open)

• Advanced camshaft timing

• Lightweight harmonic balancer

• "ram air" type cold air intake

• uridium plugs

• moved coolant line running through throttle body

• fiddled with throttle cable tension

• aftermarket voltage regulator

My sub runs awesome and has great off the line power and mid range, the top end needs some work, but so far, so good. When I want to run harder I add denatured alcohol to the gas for a little boost, plus it cleans some carbon out of the fuel system.

Next I plan on adding better plug wires and a MSD ignition as well as polishing the heads. I am also working on a Co2 kit for the intake, I have the plans for one that shoots Co2 into the throttle body via a line spliced into the cold air intake right before the throttle body opening.

If anyone has any other ideas or wants to see pics of my sub, let me know (other than turbocharging or supercharging).

Just a few questions/comments for you.

The cats don't really hinder performance that bad, and in most cases if you have a big open area that was cat, performance is going to be worse. If you replace that section with pipe, I can see a benefit there. Otherwise, you really didn't gain much by knocking out the cat.

What did you do to advance camshaft timing?

Why did you fiddle with the throttle cable tension?

The voltage regulator on these cars is in the alternator. Did you remove/alter that one and install the aftermarket one?

Porting and polishing the heads will definitely help on top end power. The MSD DIS 2 ignition is a very good investment. Myself and others with it, have been very happy with it.

I don't really follow your CO2 kit idea. Why would you want to inject CO2 into the intake/throttle body? CO2 is non-combustible, and by injecting it into the engine, your decreasing the amount of oxygen available for combustion. Plus it's being injected after the MAF sensor, so that's just going to play havoc on things, and just not work.

If you are trying to cool the intake charge with CO2, I have seen a "ball" like object that is inserted into the intake track. CO2 is then injected into that. The intake air goes around it, and cools. It is said to have very little pressure drop across it. Which is good, and why you don't see intercoolers on n/a cars, because they add pressure drop, and since you're typically using air to cool the intake charge, you really can't get much cooler unless you're using a refrigeration or cryogenic system.

The C02 kit is a Cryo kit, it will put in pressurized co2, it is a very common mod in europe.

As far as the timing, I advanced the cam gears about 4 teeth and noticed a nice increase in power.

As far as the throttle cable I simply messed with the tension on it to get a little better throttle response off the line.

My Cat was pretty badly clogged and was smoking pretty good, so knocking it out helped alot, I do plan on putting a straight pipe in place of it.

I am looking for a company that sells headers for the 2.2 h4, if anyone has any idea of a company that sells them

Is the kit injecting CO2 directly into the intake manifold? If so, I see no way that can be beneficial....

So the cam belt is off about 4 teeth from what it's supposed to be?

Any header that fits the 2.5 liter will work on your 2.2 liter. Borla makes a header, and there's a few others. It will require some custom piping at the outlet of the header since that changed between the older 2.2's and the newer 2.5's

The co2 cryo kits drop the temperature of the air going into the engine http://www.atlanticspeed.com/store/DEI%20CryO2%20Tank%20and%20Installatio.asp check it out, this is one version of a kit available.

As far as the cams, yes the are four teeth advanced from where they should be. And thanks for the tip on the headers!

You still must have some form of heat exchanger. You can not inject CO2 directly into your intake.

The kit by DEI offers two main places for cooling, the intake and fuel.

Take a look at this link:

http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sc&cid=1

Specifically the intake

http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sp&pid=4

I am looking for a company that sells headers for the 2.2 h4, if anyone has any idea of a company that sells them

www.boxer4racing.com have headers for about $300.bucks (million mile warrenty) they also have all the performance stuff you need

so the co2 injection is like having an inter-cooler with ice in it for a n/a engine

(or something like that,i guess)