Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subaru articulation pics.

A DOG

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Chux, I believe that the ejs have a VLSD in the center diff. They behave as if they are in 4wd when off road. Not once has any of my ejs ever only spun the front wheels. In fact, they tend to send more power to the rear. If you pop the clutch in the dirt, the rears will dig in more than the front. ;)

hehe... the only person i've seen actually foil the AWD system in my parents 01 legacy was my mom! she had one front tire on ice (frozen big puddle) and when we wanted to move we couldn't... that front tire just spun to its hearts content... she tried it once... then gave me a puzzled look, then tried it again... second time we moved... i guess the computers for the AWD figured it out... power went to the back wheels... kinda slow reaction(it was 3-4 seconds)... but then again my mom stopped pretty quick we she saw that she wasn't moving...

so there you go... its possible to spin a front wheel only... ;)

Sometimes?

We as the Hatch Patrol showed up the same guys in their Super Huge Sammis 3 different times.

First time, they came crawling up 311 at Evans Creek to find a stock GL wagon on 13s already at the top.

Second time, me and Qman followed them up a pretty gnarly rock that they said we'd never make.

Third time, we showed up at Evans Creek to see the biggest one on its side. I drove around them on the rocks that had caused it to fall over.

Trust me, we let them know too. lol

that sounds like it would be funny to see:D

bwuahahhahahahahah 26" travel with IFS... good one...

unless you have 30k into that rig ... no.

I did have almost $30K into that thing. Check out prerunner.net, and see how much those guys get. Why do all of the score outlaw trucks run IFS?

My specs.

Custom Lift made from Downey.(almost $5000)

Tubular control arms

shaved bump stops

Bilstein 9100 shocks front

26mm torsion bars

slip yoke cv axles with Spicer 1450 u-joints

heim joints on the tie rods

heim joint ball joints

bigger drag link

custom idler arm-$200

5.29 gears-$600 installed

marlin crawler t-case 4.7:1 low range- $1400

lockrights F+R- $550

ctm u-joints in all driveshafts-$700

driveline 1 driveshafts- $300

all pro offroad bumpers-$375

all pro t-case x-member-$250

warn x8000I winch-$850

all pro offroad driveshaft brake-$350

LC Engineering stroked and built 22re-$4500

jacobs Ign-$500

Borla exhaust-$ 275

Downey rear springs with heim joint shackles-#700

doestch 36" travel shocks, with remote resevoirs-$500

KC daylighters -$150

110amp alt-$200

optima yellow top-$150

I can keep going. I have full documentation. I had about 5 grand in the stereo and GPS inside the cab as well. I spared no expense building this truck.......I am still paying for it.

Fact is I know I had. I no longer have the truck it was totalled. From stuff to droop, the front had 26". This was a rockcrawling built suspension. Front-26" Rear 34".

If you dont believe me, your loss.

OUTSTANDING!!! 26" is a damn good # for IFS 4x4!! I got 19" out of the front of my old Bronco II (but that was all my oun fab work) I retract my 1st stament on that # (U never know when some one is full of $H!t)

Who made your'e front shafts? Wer they U-joint inner and outer?

more pics

it would only upload really small pics, not sure why???

DOH!! just my luck :-p ... all but the articulation pics would post ... thx a TON for posting them 75subie! if I tried to up-load some it there isn't enough coffee here to keep me awake till they would be done :drunk: ... btw I have a real skid-plate now ... no more of that stupid 90 DEG bent tubes like in the pic ... I broke down and had it done professionally ... it's worth the piece of mind (and saving my oil pan & sending unit) ;)

OUTSTANDING!!! 26" is a damn good # for IFS 4x4!! I got 19" out of the front of my old Bronco II (but that was all my oun fab work) I retract my 1st stament on that # (U never know when some one is full of $H!t)

Who made your'e front shafts? Wer they U-joint inner and outer?

No worries. That number was from stuff to droop. I sent you the info for the axles. Their measurements is from ground level to full droop(7"). Both ways would be about 14". I managed almost the full 26" before they came out, or bound up. I actually had to put a limiting strap on the front when I went wheeling. Pre running I took the axles off, and got the full 26". With the axles I think it was around 19-20" stuff to droop.

You may also want to check out Total chaos (sp?) they have some wicked long travel kits pre made. I would go that route instead of making my own next time. Or SAS.

Sometimes?

We as the Hatch Patrol showed up the same guys in their Super Huge Sammis 3 different times.

First time, they came crawling up 311 at Evans Creek to find a stock GL wagon on 13s already at the top.

Second time, me and Qman followed them up a pretty gnarly rock that they said we'd never make.

Third time, we showed up at Evans Creek to see the biggest one on its side. I drove around them on the rocks that had caused it to fall over.

Trust me, we let them know too. lol

We have had a friendly banter going with that club for about 4 yrs now. We run into eachother at many different ORV parks around Washington. They are a good group of guys that can take some razzing.

I think on the subject of articulation, one thing should be cleared up:

As articulation relates to suspension travel, it occurs when one wheel is pushed up and the corresponding wheel forced down. This happens on live-axled vehicles.

Subarus may have wheel travel, but they do not have articulation.

U are correct!! A+++ Not to many people know the diferance. The only way to get ARTICULATION on a Subaru is to do it the same way Rover has on there IFS/IRS rigs: Air suspention with large X-over lines (Rovers have a computer to controll air flow) so that when 1 wheel is forced up, it forcess the air in that bag to the other side forcing it down. And this makes a BIG diferance in off-road traction.

U are correct!! A+++ Not to many people know the diferance. The only way to get ARTICULATION on a Subaru is to do it the same way Rover has on there IFS/IRS rigs: Air suspention with large X-over lines (Rovers have a computer to controll air flow) so that when 1 wheel is forced up, it forcess the air in that bag to the other side forcing it down. And this makes a BIG diferance in off-road traction.

much like this... 05.landrover.lr3.r34.500.jpg

still no live axle but three locking diffs will help:brow:

this is all true, but typically, in less-than-perfect conditions, like offroading, when one wheel is pushed up, it's opposite it dropped down...therefore getting articulation....in some form or another

THAT is flex, or travel. Articulation is when the wheel is FORCED down BY the wheel that goes up. On SAS when 1 wheel is forced up it FORCES the wheel on the other side down. THATS articulation.

Ok, sorry, I guess I was wrong then.......:-\ It's all good, It's still a cool picture though. And I have gotten it to actually articulate like you are saying, but never got a pic of it. (it's articulation for a subaru, as they do not have solid axles)

Rick

same way Rover has on there IFS/IRS rigs: Air suspention with large X-over lines (Rovers have a computer to controll air flow) so that when 1 wheel is forced up, it forcess the air in that bag to the other side forcing it down

I like that maybe I could incorporate this on my ultimate wheeler , using airshocks instead of the normal springs, what about the subaru air control system stuff could it be modified for offroad in this way

I like that maybe I could incorporate this on my ultimate wheeler , using airshocks instead of the normal springs, what about the subaru air control system stuff could it be modified for offroad in this way

i saw a gut do something like that but with hydralics and it wasn't a subaru.he could lift up or push down a different wheel with a flick of a switch.

THAT is flex, or travel. Articulation is when the wheel is FORCED down BY the wheel that goes up. On SAS when 1 wheel is forced up it FORCES the wheel on the other side down. THATS articulation.

yep yep...sorry...I meant you get the same effect, despite the fact it's not working the same way