Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Racing A Soob

Pure_Karma

Now I know the big thing for Subaru is its ability to handle rally courses extremly well. Now, what if someone decided to go bigger. Say the SCORE Baja 1000 or maybe even the Paris-Dakar Rally:brow: . Anyone ever built or raced anything in these races? Anyone ever heard of a Soob racing in one?

Easy there big guy! Maybe start with the Baja 250... if you actually finish them bump upto the 500 or 1000 :) What class would a Subaru be in the SCORE Baja races?

As far as cooling you could run a 3 core radiator and a big oil cooler; both with thermostats of course. Hood louvers and scoops or a big cowl induction scoop.

Well I figured since someone doing this wouldn't have a sponsor, you would need to make a name for yourself right off. I would have the money (from the if I have kids college fund :drunk: ) to build a decent car, have a few people who want to help with the chase team, and travel expences there for maybe one race. If you did finish you might be able to pick up a sponsor. Maybe convince Subaru to run a Baja in the trophy truck class. :lol:

Sponsorship isn't that hard. I bet you could get lots of sponsors. As long as you have a realistic plan that you can convey to businesses they will sponsor you. Are you going to get BFGoodrich to give you 2 sets of tires? Naw; but you could get significant amounts of cash to put twoard the vehicle. The bigger the decal they want on your vehicle the more money they pay! ;)

"Say the SCORE Baja 1000"

I checked into that, I would want to run a ea81 hatchback... But there is no class that a subaru would fall into. You got your VW baja buggy stock only class. The crazy off road buggies, the trophy trucks, and the motorcycles/ atv's. Theres no 4wd car under 3000lb class or anything like that in the baja 1000 :( Dakar you could do it... But its so expensive!!!

Would be willing to do some support team work.

Baja would be just a couple hour drive for me.

Have BRAT will travel.... well if I can get it to run reliably...

Any chance that sponsorship money can go into a support vehicle.. I was thinking lift kit and maybe and EJ swap :brow:

BW

http://www.off-road.com/race/2004score/baja1000/scoreafactsheet.html

Scroll down to Classes. Subaru could fit into a couple from what I see. Oldschool Subarus would be Class 1/2 1600cc. Class 3 sounds pretty wide open. Maybe a Class 1 if you took out the back seats? :brow:

With 31 different classes there's gotta be room for a Subaru 4WD in there.