Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey does anyone have any tips on getting the Crank Pully off of a 96 EJ22? I'm trying to do a timing belt and waterpump replacement and the pully won't budge. The local Subaru dealer told me to hold on to the pully and have someone turn the bolt with a ratchet, but that didn't even come close. I have a neighbors puller, but can't get it into position to do any good. Is this bolt reverse threaded? Any tips would be awesome. Thanks.

first, remove the intake assembly, then below that on the bell housing will be a little rubber cober for the timing marks basically. pop that off nd wedge a flat head screw driver between the teeth of the ring gear and hte block. basically, stick the screw drver in there and start to turn the bolt, eventually it will catch and lock it in place. i reccomend using a breaker bar and an extention on that, like a cheater bar. i used the arm from the gazel excercize machine over the handle of the breaker bar.just revers the the process to reinstall/

first, remove the intake assembly, then below that on the bell housing will be a little rubber cober for the timing marks basically. pop that off nd wedge a flat head screw driver between the teeth of the ring gear and hte block. basically, stick the screw drver in there and start to turn the bolt, eventually it will catch and lock it in place./

Use a STRONG screw driver.

Done that before and also used braker bar to remove the bolt (piece of cake)

Here's 2 pictures during the proccess.

post-11889-136027603337_thumb.jpg

post-11889-136027603345_thumb.jpg

the bolt is on TIGHT. if it's a manual trans put it in gear to keep the crank from turning when you're loosening the bolt. if it's an automatic use the screwdriver mentioned in the flexplate (i like to use a stout socket extension personally) in the access hole under the intake hose where it meets the throttle body.

then use a large breaker bar or pipe over your ratchet to break the bolt loose. nothing special, it's just on there really tight. use a breaker bar.

a really simple way to do it that requires nothing is to let the socket hang on the crank pulley and then crank the motor over with the starter (turn the key), but make sure the car doesn't start (disconnect the plug wires from the coil pack). the socket will spin around until it hits the motor mount and when it contacts the motor mount the bolt will loosen. make sure the socket is long enough and will contact the motor mount by turning it by hand first. i've gotten this to work everytime i didn't have a breaker bar handy. so long as you're competent and know what you're doing it takes about 19 seconds to get the bolt loose this way.

a really simple way to do it that requires nothing is to let the socket hang on the crank pulley and then crank the motor over with the starter (turn the key.

I know it seems obvious, but make sure no one is near the front of the car when you are doing this. . . . . . . or buy and impact wrench. They will pay for themselves within a few jobs where you might have sheared a bolt head off by cranking with a ratchet.

Jack

yeah, gary, just putting it in gear isnt enough to to loosen the bolt, ive mosed the car trying that in the rx. you have to have something solid to keep it in place when you loosen it.

the cranking the car over with a long breaker in the bolt works really well tohugh.

This is really dangerous, I hesitate to recommend it. but as a last resort.

Just make sure that your engine spins clockwise..

Disconnect your plug wires so it cannot start..

Put the biggest breaker bar and the proper socket on the crank bolt and wedge it into the frame rotated as far clockwise as it can go.. Then use the starter to bust it loose. Just a quick pop with the key is all it takes.

I have successfully used this on my suby, my sons acura and an old chrysler..

BE CAREFUL..

HTH..

Two other options that work.

(1) A 3/4" or 1/2" Impact Wrench will take if off in a jiffy.

(2) Or you can secure the pully with a chain vice grip. This is a handy tool that has a bicycle chain instead of a plier nose. You wrap the chain around the socket and close the vice grip. This works well if you cannot afford an impact wrench.

I have used the technique of putting the transmission in gear, and applying the parking brake. The car also should be on all 4 wheels. With a 22mm socket and breaker bar, the bolt wasn't too hard to remove.

The pulley, however, was bonded to the crankshaft. It took a lot of PB Blaster, prying, and swearing to get it off. Before I renstalled it, I gave it a quick polish with some steel wool and a little anti-sieze compound.

Matt