Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My Ru is too tall!!!!

ByTheSea

It's official. I got pulled over for a warning on the front bumper brackets and got tagged for lifting over state limits. Luckily this trooper had actually participated in my huge psycho wife/false arrest syndrome a few years back. We had a pleasant talk and he gave me a few good tips on what items will cause random trooper trouble in the future. Hmmm. Maybe I need to put a false bottom on when I build UberRu. LOL Gonna be tough claiming a tube frame is only a body lift.

There are limits to to the bumper height (Can't be having any little Ricers getting their Honda stuck underneath that Durango on 44's now can we?) too. I think in Oregon 50" is the largest tire you can run on-road, and I forget what the height limit is as far as lift goes (Maximum vehicle height I think is 14 feet or somethign like that, I forget..)

Mainly my vehicle is tall and ugly. I have been running tall tires from way back and finally lifted it. The fender cuts are huge, the body panels don't match, theres missing trim etc etc. The damage from hitting the overhead at the bank(Saris roofracks BTW are stronger than Ru Roofs and my GFs Trek combined) surely doesn't help the overall appearance :) I think things will be okay when I build the next one. I'm going for stupid tall but with modest fender work. That way I can claim it's mostly tire and they won't have any way to prove otherwise. Also the new car is clean and everything matches.

Andrew, I live in Belchertown.

For any Ma residents interested in lifting the official formula for factory 4 wheel drive vehicles is (wheel trac X wheel base)/2200=max height increase. The factory height is determined by the original door bottom height on vehicles equipetd with doors with the largest tire offered as original equiptment. The lift is for all combinations of tire and lift kit/body lift These are supposed to be enforced by the inspection stations so it's a crap shoot on how tall you go. Since the issue is total height over stock I suppose one could get through inspection by running smaller than stock tires with a lift :) That said I'd have to guess that every single vehicle in this state running 33" tires is blatantly over height limits even without a lift. I'm going to say screw it and if they beef to much then the registry can have a talk with the National Parks Service, Mass Environmental Police and every other state and federal agency that has "illegal" modifications to their vehicles.