Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New member - former '89 XT-6 owner, currently '98 LOB owner

Hello all,

I'm just saying hello here, so here is a little about me. I became a subaru fan a few years back when I acquired a used '98 XT-6 FWD (The Red Wedge). The odometer went from 89k to just over 200k while I had it so I ended up learning quite a lot. I know why there is sometimes a strange smell from the AC and the power steering light comes on often followed by an alternator/regulator failure. (Yes these are all related!) I've seen many forums on similar or related topics.

I currently own a '98 Legacy Outback. I bought it cheap with 149k mi. for $2500.00! It was in immaculate condition except for a pretty loud tapping/knocking sound. I deluded myself that it was only piston slap and would not cause any serious problems. 3000 miles later it spun a rod bearing (DOH!). I raised the engine, dropped the pan and replaced the bearing (#4 of course). plastiguage showed the clearance to be only very slightly over spec. but the crank had taken enough damage to give me doubts. <SigH> I put it back together, added fresh oil and filter, and drove a few miles before parking it. I have concluded I should look for replacement engine or at least a short block. If only I had done this bearing a few days sooner... it only took about 4-5 hours (with a lift an a clean shop to work in voluteered by a buddy).

If anybody has the stuff I need I can compensate with a kick-rump roast computer system, custom built and hand-loaded/patched to specification and provide end user support for, say, one year.

So that is what brings me here. it may be a few months before my budget will allow me to move on any opportunities so I am taking my time with the research.

On a side note, I have also been checking out the ODBII scene and acquired an ODBII to USB interface and software that is supposed to do dynamic monitoring and data collection the. It arrived the day AFTER my engine died so I have not had a chance to play with it yet.

-Nassor

You are correct about the 2.5L and I have heard the same suggestion from at least a couple of local sub mechanics. I'd hate to downgrade the power. It has an automatic trans. and a towing kit that I hope to be able to use someday (although it is likely part of the reason for the engine failure in the first place). Do you have any idea off hand what the power output difference is between the 2.5DOHC and any of the 2.2's? I also wonder if swapping to a turbo version might be feasible. Other considerations include using the E-RAM electric motor supercharger... hmmmmm

-Nassor

e-ram? electric super charger ?? sry to go off topic but where can i find out more about this ?

I believe the website is http://www.electricsupercharger.com but I remain skeptical. The physics to seem to hold 'air' however. Combining the e-ram with a cold-air intake could be really cool!

I miss my XT-6, it was a fun car.

-Nassor

I believe the website is http://www.electricsupercharger.com but I remain skeptical. The physics to seem to hold 'air' however. Combining the e-ram with a cold-air intake could be really cool!

I miss my XT-6, it was a fun car.

-Nassor

http://www.electricsupercharger.com/eram2.php

$300 bucks to add 1lb of boost.is it worth it though?

• 2 weeks later...