Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1991 Legacy, no dash lights

I have a 1991 Legacy, no dash lights, checked fuses, all of them I think and are all good. Bulbs are good too. My niece who I recently bought the car from thinks once she had a after market cd player put in, they no longer worked. Checked with a car radio business, they said no wires in that harness should be connected by loosing dash lights. Is there relays or other fuses labels "something else" I should be looking for. please help!!

Thanks, I'll look into that. It's funny, tonight I was leaving walmart at dusk and I had no head lights. Got almost home and out of the blue, they started working!!

The display of the CD player may have a connection to go to the dash lights so it can be dimmed. I would check the dimmer control and see if there is voltage getting to and out of the control by using a test light probe.

The display of the CD player may have a connection to go to the dash lights so it can be dimmed. I would check the dimmer control and see if there is voltage getting to and out of the control by using a test light probe.

I once put in a aftermarket CD player in my 96 Outback, and somehow shorted out the dimmer wire. The result was no dash lights. Turned out to be a blown fuse, and simply replacing the fuse helped. Also, check to see if the dimmer switch is faulty.

RC