Ultimate Subaru Message Board

vaccum advance

skinny

on my ea82 I have just removed the vac ad. by leaving the distributor in the car..remove the cap and the one or two screws holding it down...

how do you change these things. do you swap the whole distributor ot what. cnat figure out how to get the spring and everything out of the distributor. help

all I can say is that I have a bunch of various subaru distributors and they all have 2 screws holding them in place..1 screw on the outside and another inside the dist...I suspect that someone tried taking the vac pot off before without a magnetic holding the screw and dropped it into the distr. and then used some other method to hold the vac pots arm in place like a pin or rivet...

i did that but there is a pin holding it on the inside of the distributor. i reckon i will try and pull it out if it will. what do you think?

On my ea81 distys you don't pull the pin out, all you do is slide the little arm assembly that connects to the diaphram over the pin and then pull the diaphram out. I don't recall there being any kind of clip or fastener holding the little arm on the pin - it's just stays there due to gravity and friction.