Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Ultimate Snorkel Thread......

TurboXT

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so I was looking at my engine the other day, and the air horn on the air box is right next to the battery, and there is almost no room to attach a tube onto it, and then when you attach one to the horn, the battery interferes with the tube route.

Aside from relocating the battery, or cutting the air horn off, and making it face twards the back of the engine compartment, I am not sure how to fit the snorkel.

Thanks

Rick

best thing for a carb is to take the air cleaner off. theres a small lip on your carburetor. you can clamp a rubber hose onto it. i used a mpfi elbow. you can then put some tube on there and have a cone air filter wherever you want it.

the stock airbox wouldnt work well with a snorke, because there is so many spots on the stock air cleaner that dirt/water can get into.

Sorry to stray from the topic, but this is very closely related:

For those of you running FI cars in deep water, what have you done as far as sealing up the ECM and other delicate components? How well does it work?

I plan on putting a healthy glob of dielectric grease in every connector and placing my ECM in a watertight box with a vent tube running into the cab (EJ conversion, and the ECM is mounted underhood).

the brat in the new issue of SubieSport looks like yours. it isn't, is it?

It does? I don't think it could be. I've never heard of that mag. But I would love a picture of it. Only problem there is they have copy right over there content, and ya better not post a pic out of there mag here. A friend almost got sued by a magazine because he was use a scan to proving something that was in it...

Anyway. back on topic, I have a twin carb setup on my EA81 and I was going to put a scoop on the hood with a CAI box under the scoop filled with foam. Then run two flexible pipes to two right angle PVC 60mm pipe fittings that I have almost customed up to fit on the carbs. But I never got round to it (couldn't find a scoop cheap enough.) I have the flexible tube and PVC fittings. So anyway, I thought maybe its possible to turn this mod into a snorkle by running the flexy tube up behind one of the strut towers and cut a hole in the fender, then put another PVC fitting in with a normal house gutter down pipe going upto the roof. All painted of cause.

I'll have to finish off those PVC right angle parts then take a picy for you all. I just have to drill a hole, grind up a piece of metal as a washer, and replace the carbies center screw with a longer one. So it shouldn't take long. I'll see what I can do with it today and maybe you'll get a picy tonight (I live in Australia, approx 14 hours ahead on the clock then most of the USA) so tonight is this morning... (I think.. :lol:)

best thing for a carb is to take the air cleaner off. theres a small lip on your carburetor. you can clamp a rubber hose onto it. i used a mpfi elbow. you can then put some tube on there and have a cone air filter wherever you want it.

the stock airbox wouldnt work well with a snorke, because there is so many spots on the stock air cleaner that dirt/water can get into.

I was thinking about it, but what about all the vacum hoses and sensors, and the "preheat" tube? Do you just retro fit them into the SPFI or MPFI elbow?

As for the ECU, they make this stuff called plasti-dip.....it comes in spray can form as well as dipping form. I was going to spray all my connectors, and disty with this stuff to seal it from water. Might be a little rough if you have to get into the connectors, but it would keep the water out.

Thanks

Rick

I just finished modding the PVC angle joints to fit on the carbs.

I extend the screws (as it didn't look like they could be taken out and replaced.) The PVC fitting has one end chopped off so it fits under the hood. I'm using the original wing nuts off the original air box. Anyway, heres a couple of pictures as "they can tell a thousand words" (ecpecially when they have words in them ;))

snorkel_test.jpg

caimod_screw_extention.jpg

I know this doesn't help EFI users. But its a start for a carbed subie! :D

For those of you running FI cars in deep water, what have you done as far as sealing up the ECM and other delicate components? How well does it work?

I plan on putting a healthy glob of dielectric grease in every connector and placing my ECM in a watertight box with a vent tube running into the cab (EJ conversion, and the ECM is mounted underhood).

I use dielectric grease on all my connections and grounds. Someone told me that stuff impeeds electrical flow and is bad for electrical connections and grounds. I thought that was rather odd since it says right on the package to 'use on all electrical connections and grounds'. Anyway it seems to do well at repeling water from those connections.

I havent touched hardly any connections or grounds inside the cab. Never messed with the computer either. Even my rust bucket filled with holes keeps the computer dry. Not sure I'd want to ford something deep enough to drown the computer (and instrament cluster) Anything like that here in MN would be illegal anyway. Last year they almost pased legislation to ban snorkels on all OHVs! Most types of water crossings are already illegal.

I just finished modding the PVC angle joints to fit on the carbs.

I extend the screws (as it didn't look like they could be taken out and replaced.) The PVC fitting has one end chopped off so it fits under the hood. I'm using the original wing nuts off the original air box. Anyway, heres a couple of pictures as "they can tell a thousand words" (ecpecially when they have words in them ;))

snorkel_test.jpg

caimod_screw_extention.jpg

I know this doesn't help EFI users. But its a start for a carbed subie! :D

That's pretty sweet, what do you plan on doing with all of the vacum lines that went to the stock air box, and the couple of sensors that are in it?

Thanks

Rick

That's pretty sweet, what do you plan on doing with all of the vacum lines that went to the stock air box, and the couple of sensors that are in it?

Thanks

Rick

Well. When I got it it already had the twin carbs on and modded or what ever. So anyway what I'm saying is it only has two pipes connected into the air box. And there both breathers for the crank case. All the other holes in the air box are blocked off. and the sensor unpluged. And as this is my first subie, I got no idea what stock looks like. :-\

I will try moddin the PVC to fit the breather pipes in tomorrow. If I get it done good I'll post a pic up here for all to see.

Thanks

Rick

If Austrailia gets the same cars as us (probably do) then it wouldn't have had anything like the amount of vacuum lines and sensors that you guys have.

(TurboXT) I will have to show you on your car what can be done to block off some of your vac hoses that go to the air cleaner box on top of your carb.I had to deal with that when I decided to create more air flow by cutting holes in the side of the air cleaner housing on my '88 hatch I used to have. Oh and by the way they make a K&N air filter for your style car that I bought when I had mine and it helped alot.What I did was have 2 filter housings one for winter and one for summer(had all the pre heat hose stuff taken off)seemed to be good for when its warm.I had a good idea for making a snorkel work on the carbed motor,just need to find a cheap housing to cut a bit at Pull n smell.:)

Have some more pictures for yous!

caimod_case_breather.jpg

caimod_case_breather_block.jpg

for the first pic I got a bolt, cut the end off, used a drill press to drill out the middle, then drilled a hole in the pipe and threded it with same thred the bolt has then screwed the bolt in. (sorry about all the , s) I figured since SUB4 make all alloy rocker covers the only one has a breather (other has a oil filler) I wouldn't need to have bother covers breathing. So i blocked the one on the right of the engine off. The one on the left goes thru a PCV valve which is hooked up to the inlet manifold, so i decided to keep that one as the breather...

As for the vac lines into the air box. None of them should have to be used. They might need venting somewhere, but you could just do the same with the vac lines as I done with the breather, its quite easy whne you have the tools...

on my efi conversions i have the computer in the rear of the car, where water wont get to it.

i have taken a waterhose to my engine compartment and everything worked out fine, with the stock connectors, and no dialectric grease, they are pretty waterproof.

on ea81s theres a huge hole on the passenger side of the engine compartment, just perfect for efi wiring to run through. put that computer in the cab, where it belongs!

another option I have seen is mounting the computer to the ceiling in the cab. and lots of duct tape and RTV on connections, moast sensors and other connections should be ok as 12v dosen't conduct very far in water. also you should remember to route exaust up as well in case you stall mid stream and get to much water in the exaust to restart.

• 3 weeks later...

well, I am nearing completion of my snorkel :brow:

pics will be up soon....

one question about the ECU issue..

in my 94 impreza, isnt the ECU under the passenger kick plate on the floor?

or is it under the steering column? i havent looked for it yet.. but it might be good to know before i go dunk the car in water.... :confused:

of course, if nobody knows I will check for it myself :D

and then let you know!