Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Legacy Front License Plate Bracket

Howdy folks. I have a new 2005 Legacy Sedan and need to install a front license plate (thank you Ohio...)

The dealer has recommended two sheet metal screws directly into the bumper but I do not like the way that leaves the plate to be damaged and bent by anyone that walks by.

Does anyone know of a front license plate bracket that would support the entire plate and fit the curvature of the front bumper?

TIA,

mikkl

Howdy folks. I have a new 2005 Legacy Sedan and need to install a front license plate (thank you Ohio...)

The dealer has recommended two sheet metal screws directly into the bumper but I do not like the way that leaves the plate to be damaged and bent by anyone that walks by.

Does anyone know of a front license plate bracket that would support the entire plate and fit the curvature of the front bumper?

TIA,

mikkl

Other than buying one of those aftermarket license plate frames to slightly "stiffen" the tag, it is the way it is. I can see your point about "fitting the curvature of the bumper". If it's any consolation, Subaru (as well as other manufacturers) have done front license plate mounting that way for years, now. Typically, there are two tiny "dimples" cast into the front bumper cover where you're supposed to force the self-tapping bolts in with a drill-driver.

I have a 2000 Legacy GT that I bought a mounting bracket from a Subaru dealer. It sucks to have to screw in the mounting plate, but it's a decent looking setup. It's better than just screwing the plate on directly.

TIA,

mikkl

I find it hard to believe that Subaru does not have a front bracket or mounting scheme of some sort.

Commuter

I agree with you. The head of the spare parts department did suggest that I go looking on the internet as "some customers have found bracket there. Subaru, however, does not make them."

Here in southern Ohio, you see a large number of new cars without front plates, even though they are required. A large number of Indiana and Kentucky (two states that do not require front plates) folks commute here for work and the Ohio folks seem to figure that the police will not be able to tell the difference as you drive by.

It does maintain the good looks...

mikkl

We too are required to have front plates in WI. After mine got ripped off in an accident I never replaced it...until one day my kind county sherriff took time out from his busy schedule to interrupt my buzz cruise with a warning to get that thing on there. Mine is mounted with some wire around one of the lower pillars on the bumper cover. After pulling into a couple steep driveways it is now bent in half for maximum aerodynamic efficiency.

Hey, thanks for checking.

I was at Autozone yesterday picking up glaze and they have a "universal" plastic support bracket that I may try. Once the title shows up and I have plates in hand, I will start trying to figure out what looks best while still being legal.

Thanks again,

mikkl

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I found a bracket. It is the bracket for the current generation of Chevy Cavalier, Pontiac Sunfire, and Saturn Ion. (Part number 22714457) $13 on ebay. It attaches with three pop-rivets (which means that I did have to drill holes in the bumper.) It provides secure attachment and a neat edge to the plate while protecting the paint.

It is hard to take a picture of a black plastic frame on a black car with a bright white plate, but here goes:

5161LicensePlateBracket.JPG

Thanks again for the comments and recommendations,

mikkl

See GM Mentality isn't all that bad?!?!? :rolleyes:

Did I just say that???:banghead:

I paid 22K for an 03 Cavalier that had constant Brake Problems... and A Clutch that burned out at 21k and they (Dealership) wanted $3200 to fix!! And they hadn't released the clutch to any parts store. yet, As it wasn't even a year old at this point... I told the dealership to keep it! I later found out that it was sold at auction for 11k and rolled two weeks later... into a pond for that matter...

:drunk: Cheers.. to gm.. for crappy cars...

I am gonna get one of those plate backing units from Autozone for my OBW. It looks like it will allow some vertical position options as well as stiffening the support of the plate.

I am loathe to put a plate on my WRX however and may wait until the 'squeezers' suggest I do so. And when that happenes I may try to make a plate holder that uses the front tow hook recepticle.

I am gonna get one of those plate backing units from Autozone for my OBW. It looks like it will allow some vertical position options as well as stiffening the support of the plate.

I can't blame you for looking at those. I will probably be using one on my wife's Toyota.

Since I had to drill holes in my bumper, I had a fairly large range of options regarding the location.

mikkl