Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 amp alternator

82bratavenger

Has anyone ever tried an alternator from an 85 nissan maxima? I have a 1982 GL Brat w/EA81. I was discussing options with a friend of mine at a parts house and he said I could order it with a V pully and the adapter harness for about $150.00. The extra 30 amps would be good for the winch and running lights I plan on later. I measured all the mounting points and they all match. One main difference is that the nissan has an internal fan.

Does anyone see potential problems with this. Just picking all your brains :grin:

Has anyone ever tried an alternator from an 85 nissan maxima? I have a 1982 GL Brat w/EA81. I was discussing options with a friend of mine at a parts house and he said I could order it with a V pully and the adapter harness for about $150.00. The extra 30 amps would be good for the winch and running lights I plan on later. I measured all the mounting points and they all match. One main difference is that the nissan has an internal fan.

Does anyone see potential problems with this. Just picking all your brains :grin:

that's about the same price as a xt6 alt from the parts stores...

The GM alt isn't that much bigger, and any grinding you could do with a $9.99 harbor freight angle grinder.... As for my setup, I didn't have to much grinding - just moved the outer bracket out a little, bent it, and redrilled the mounting hole. Flipped the alt over. It's rock solid even tho it's mounted upside down. I may eventually modify it to fit right side up. This is a 120 AMP GM single wire on my EA81. No pulley changes needed. Stock belt too:

alt.jpg