Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steering probs in snow...

Ross

Went for a drive in the snow yesturday (only get the change once a year around here) in the 83 wagon. Snow was all fresh, about 1/2-1 foot worth.

Went well, especially since its on wee 185/60R14 road tires!

Only problem was that the front wheel wells kept filling up with snow so that i could barely turn at all!

Do others have this problem, or is it just because it sits lower to the ground than non turbo 4wds??

My impreza has the problem all the time, fender wells fill up with snow, and the entire rig shakes like it's on self-destruct mode, so i just give the fenders a good kick or 2 before i get & and go. I've also had the inside of the rim fill up w/ snow, causing some severe vibrations (much like an un-balanced wheel... funny thing aye?).

So if you ever see me on the highway with an ice pick under my car, you'll know what i'm doing......

oh, some other stuff that gets funky when i play in the snow is that the engine compartment will FILL with snow.. that's always an adventure to clean that out, and on the bottom, inbewteen the heatshields & exhaust turns into a massive block of ice... sometimes it even encases my exhaust... yeah it gets cold up here :rolleyes:

Yeah, the wheels filling with snow is horrible when you get back on the road.

Didn't have any trouble with the engine bay, but i kept having to remove the snow off the bonnet/windscreen by hand because the nose would dig in and scoop masses of snow up there!

Did a nice job of cleaning my mags too! I just wish it snowed here a little more often...its much funner than mud!

I haven't had my wagon in snow that was too deep (Maybe 6-7" at the most), but I haven't noticed anything getting messed up by the snow. I must say though, subaru sure did build a good drift car (gravel/snow) when they made the 84 turbo wagon!

On my '89 wagon it makes big icicle creations on the mudflaps when driving on the highway slush, but I've never had the wheel well totally filled up. My dad's 96 OBW does do the wheel well thing sometimes...The deepest I've driven in was 19". It probably helps that it's almost always really powdery snow here, so it doesn't stick and pack much in the morning, and when I come back in the afternoon, it's usually melted off all the roads. (joys of living in Colorado -- you can experience 2 feet of snow, and 65 degrees within two days).

only time i had that kinda problem is when i went off the road into a snow drift in a wheat field...i had snow caked everyware.... and no i was not pulled out of that...a little nudge but the wagon got out. ;)...i also had that kinda problem with my vw scirocco...foot deep snow and alot of messing around..kinda scarry sometimes.

I haven't had my wagon in snow that was too deep (Maybe 6-7" at the most), but I haven't noticed anything getting messed up by the snow. I must say though, subaru sure did build a good drift car (gravel/snow) when they made the 84 turbo wagon!

Yep, just wish the turbo motor was in mine! Soon.....

The lower front springs are a pain for clearence, but boy do they outhandle any other ea81! Huge difference for such a small change in height.

Ill try the cooking oil thing next time it snows (probably next year :( ), thanks.

The lower front springs are a pain for clearence, but boy do they outhandle any other ea81! Huge difference for such a small change in height.

No kidding!!! I just picked up an 85 hatch and it is an understeering little pig! The wagon is MUCH more fun to drive. It really is a night and day difference.

Spray PAM on the inside of your wheel wells, and on the backside of your rims. It will keep the snow from sticking real bad. I used to do this all the time when I lived in Colorado.

Yep! he's from North Carolina :lol:

NC, 3rd state in RedNeck engineering

My buddy once put a brake fire out with beer,, it was the most avaible fluid at the time. I think he was considering peeing on it befor wasting the beer ,but I think the thought of fire and an open fly was to scary