Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do I best prep my car for sale?

I'm sad that it has to come to this, but baby, ya gotta go.

My '92 Loyale (4WD 3AT) needs to be sold, but there are some issues that I was hoping y'all could give me some advice on how to resolve them. I just moved to Somerville, Mass. (near Boston) and I could use the extra cash plus I have a public transit network that gets me to where I need to go. My car currently has a few things that need to be taken care of before I can put it on the market:

-windshield cracked (almost a foot large in diameter, from the inside)

-tires mismatched and worn (squeals on every turn)

-has not been inspected

-still has Florida plates

-AC doesn't work

Apart from that, the interior is great and the exterior is almost rust free with good (and I mean good) original paint. The engine runs. Suspension is tight. Brakes are almost new. What would be the best course of action here? Sell it as is? Repair the windshield, but not replace the tires? Do I need and most importantly, CAN I get it inspected without in-state plates and will anyone buy it without it being inspected? The Blue Book value even with faulty items included is above $2000! But will anyone buy it without repairs? What's most cost-effective?

I wouldn't worry about the no AC. I've never actually owned a loyale that the AC worked on anyway.

In Colorado, you can't get in state plates till it is inspected, but they also only inspect the VIN, not actual driveability. It seem silly to pay $30 or $40 for new plates, just to sell it right away and throw the new plates away (they stay with the owner here, not the car). But MA laws may be completely different than CO. Call your local DMV.

I would replace the tires before the windshield, unless the windshield is cracked right in the field of vision (in which case it might be illegal). Someone buying a subaru probably has a reason that they want 4wd, and good tires could help alot in a test drive impression of handling. You might not make back the $280 for good new tires, but it might help it sell alot quicker.

I wouldn't worry about the AC either. I would check a few of the local tire shops and see what they had to offer in some used tires. Got some good deals on some decent used tires from some of them around here. You'd be surprized at some of the "used" tires some places have, people just change tires cause they don't like the look or ride of the ones that come on the vehicle they just bought. For an example, got 4-235/65/14's for the Wife's Grand Am, mounted balanced, old tires dispossed of for $135.00. These tires didn't have more than maybe 400 miles on them, still had some of the tips on the tread area.

I would also check with the local used parts yards and see what a windshield would cost, (they remove the one you're buying is the only way I'd go), then call an Auto Glass place to see what they would charge to install a window that you supply. Around here, it's roughly $50.00 for installation of "your" glass. I can get a used windshield for around $50.00 here, beats the $200.00 plus for a new one, plus install fee.

Don't know how the inspection works where you are, we don't have that here. A cracked windshield is a no-no, but they won't stop you for it unless it's way bad. However, they will cite you for it, (defective equipment), if you get stopped for any other reason. You have 15 days to get it fixed..

Unfortunately, in the great state of Massachusetts, there is no such thing as selling a car "As Is".

Be up front with the buyer, but remember, verbal agreements about the car's condition don't hold up, so avoid them.

To protect yourself against the Lemon Law, the only safe way to sell a questionable car is to state "For Parts Only" on the Bill of Sale.

If the buyer cannot get the car to pass inspection because of the defects and it costs more than 10% of the purchase price to repair the defect, then the seller can choose to repair it to pass inspection, if not, then the buyer is entitled to a full refund.

The inspection also includes emissions, even/odd years, I'm not sure if we're on even or odd this year, you might want to check that because you car is still subject to that portion of the test (exempt after 15 years).

The plates and lack of inspection sticker has no bearing on the matter. Every car bought and registered MUST be re-inspected within 7 or 10 days of the purchase date, regardless of when the previous owner had it inspected. The numbers on the inspection sticker must match the registration number.

Good luck!

Mary

Higher prices can be had for a "daily driver". A for sale sign in the window while driving the car around is a really good way to unload it. If that means plating it for 40 bucks I would do it. Find a used tire shop and get the tires to stop squeeling, ignore the AC thats an accessory and isnt going to drive the price up on a car of this type....this car is reliable not gas guzzling transportation to the general public and thats the best way to advertise it, fix the windshield if thats required.

Otherwise maybe a local subaru shop would want it for parts.

Thanks guys, this is all really helpful. I think I'm actually going to just grit my teeth and pay for the windshield and tire replacements. I'm trying to get the whole car's worth out of this, because it's a decent daily driver and I need the money bad. It's just hard investing money in something when you're not sure you'll get everything back or not...:(