Ultimate Subaru Message Board

About Rallitek's Perfect Power 6

nkx

i was thinking about engine management last night. im going to need something to control fuel, boost, etc after i put my td04 on the buggy. the 5th injector doesnt inspire confidence in me, nor does a RRFPR. MSnEDIS sounds great, but theres a lot of DIY and tuning involved there (stuff i can easily screw up!) i thought about rallitek's perfect power 6. it says it supports any 89+ subaru. now since the buggy is an 89, that much is going for me. i emailed a guy named sean at rallitek to ask a few questions. he says it WILL work! should allow me to run larger injectors, tune for afr, ignition curve, etc. so right now it all sounds good. he wants to know what activates the fuel cut... "Is it a switch or is it an analog voltage?"

im not sure what it is, but i know its not easily remedied or else it wouldnt be a problem.

does anyone else want to chime in here with some technical info? maybe we can get a plug and play adapter made with a group buy! ill paste the email here, so you can see if i left out anything that would require attention.

John,

The PP6 will fit your application. You will be able to re-curve ignition,

scale for larger injectors, tune AFR....

The boost cut issue may require a boost cut defender or some other limit

switch. Do you know the exact operation of the boost cut. Is it a switch or

is it an analog voltage? If you have an ECU pinout I can make you a wiring

diagram.

-Sean S.

www.RalliTEK.com

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 12:10 AM

To: sean@rallitek.com

Subject: perfect power 6

hi,

im emailing to find out if youve had any experience in using the perfect

power 6 on older subarus. i have an 89 gl-10 wagon with an ea82t. im looking

to do a turbo upgrade in the future, so im researching ecu/fuel control

upgrade options. my main concerns are the factory fuel cut issue (occurs at

15 psi) and tuning after injector upgrades. unfortunately, the aftermarket

for older gen subarus is quite small, so any ecu/piggyback product that will

suit our application is a godsend.

i know theres quite a few more people with similar cars and projects

interested in ecu upgrades.

thank you,

john

I would have figured sean would have known about the fuel cut, he had an RX rally car at one time.

He managed to work it so the boost would go to 15 psi before a cut. No really.

If you think you sould be confused tuning a perfect power, it might not be for you.

Just this last weekend Sean tuned one for me in my 96 2.2 OBS, and it has big time more pull than it had. A lap top and a buddy and some experimentation with more or less fuel and or more or less timing and your car will be happier. Power wize and fuel economy wize. :)

Paraphrasing what I have heard on the board:

On 85/86 models with the flapper style MAF, the fuel cut is controlled by a boost-activated switch.

On 87 and later models with the hot wire MAF, the fuel cut is triggered when the MAF reading (voltage) goes above a certain level.

Hope this helps.

dude just get any standalone/piggy back/superafc and wire it up. if you don't want to work for it, then why have rewards? :-\ I would have figured sean would have known about the fuel cut, he had an RX rally car at one time.

im just wary of putting the MS stuff together... or even if i got a complete unit, i still have to source the DIS and find one of those fancy pulleys.

...and then having to tune it.

First off, I'd ask Sean to verify that he has seen this installed and working on a GL. I seem to think someone looked at this before and with 89 being the actual first year for the Legacy, it doesn't work on GLs but Legacys from 89 up.

Also, this is a sincere question not something to diprove it working on a GL or not. If it works on a GL why would 89 be the cut? Is there a big difference between the 88 or 87 and the 89? I didn't think there was but I could be wrong.

Keith

oops, guess i should have specified exactly what i wanted to know. what kind of products were you refering to, jwx? the SAFC is an Apex-i unit, correct? im not real familiar with all of the little universal type tuning gadgets out there.