Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What should 92' Loyale oil pressure be?

92' Loyale 4WD A/T 128,000 miles. I was wondering approximately where my oil pressure should be at idle & at highway speed after the engine has been warmed up.

It seems to run around 40-45 psi on the highway & at idle it gets very low, like around 10 psi. Of course when the car is cold my pressure is much higher, but i'm more concerned with the "warmed up" pressure.

Seems to me the oil pump may be gettin' pretty worn out.

If its a reliable gauge (ie not a factory one), a drop below 10psi may indicate a problem, but it wont cause damage untill it gets below around 5psi. A factory gauge, as turbone said, willl often read very low at idle. 40-45psi is fine for around the 3000rpm mark.

I got a 92 Loyale and my oil pressure is the exact same. Running temp @4000 rpm, spec pressure should be about 35-45 I think, and @ 2000 rpm only 15-25. So since idle should be about 700-800 rpm on these engines, yeah your pressure is going to be around 10 or less. I had the same thoughts when I first got the loyale though.

Like turbone said, your pump is probably not bad, but you can always double check it. Just pull off your pressure sending unit and pop on a gauge to get an accurate reading.