Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is there any way of getting around the built in rev limiter on the EJ22 motors without getting a piggy back system or a full blown after market ecu?

What years are you talking about? My rev limiter cuts my engine at redline on a '92. are you trying to go faster than that?

The power curve starts dropping off before redline, so simply raising the rev-limiter isn't going to get you anything other than increased wear (and maybe some broken engine parts). I suppose with a set of cams it might be worth bumping up a few hundred rpm.

I haven't ever hit a speed limiter on my 93. If it exists, it's somewhere above 115 mph.

My Euro-spec EJ22 from 1990 was redlined at 6500 but the limiter didn't kick in until 6800rpm ;-)

Even so, useless to go that far, torque and power are dropping off from 6000rpm. 6500 is only useful in first gear. 2nd at 6000, 3rd at 5500, 4th the same 5500, and fifth til she shows 130mph!

I drove a 2001? Outback sport and it was governed around 115. I thought I killed the thing when it started bucking and slowing down...scared the crap out of me!

If it's a 90-94 model, you could disconnect the vehicle speed sensor if it's the governor you are wishing to get around. After 95, if you disconnect the speed sensor, the ECM doesn't like it though.

What years are you talking about? My rev limiter cuts my engine at redline on a '92. are you trying to go faster than that?

The motor is a 96 or 97 2.2 in a loyale. It has a open air intake, custom profile cam's, borla header and pretty open exhaust. I have done some minor polish work on the heads. The rev limiter kits in at 6000 rpm and it feels like it is cutting out about 1000 rpm short of its peak. I haven't be able to get down to a dyno to varify that yet. I am not worried about breaking parts because the trill of building an engine that is a strong runner out weighs the parts you break on the way.

I am assuming there's no way around the rev limiter? No simple way if deactivating it?

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old thread, but I've been hitting the same rev limiter. I've been beating the bag out of my 92 legacy motor (it's running on 3 cyl's, why not?) and it bounces off the limiter around 6750. It's getting annoying. It's my engine, I should be able to abuse it as I please. I know there's probably nothing I can do about it, it just pisses me off that it's there.