Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2nd gen rear end into 1st gen

Clayton

im going to buy a 1st gen wagon automatic front wheel drive can i put a 2nd gen wagon tranie and diff onto my 1st gen wagon and turn it into a 4wheel drive hi/lo wagon 4 speed.(until i can get a 5 speed hi/lo to put into there) please help me figure out if i can before i buy it....

i have a parts car with all the stuff i need i hope. i also heard the wheel base will be wider and will stick out about 2" more on each side then normal 1st gen wagons. yes! also planed on getting a fuel cell thank you for reply

I have a 2wd 5spd wagon and I think you might have a problem with the gas tank I want to convert mine also I'm thinking lift it and drop a newer engine and trans in it.

You can swap in the 4spd d/r, but its a ton of work...you will need a 1st gen 4wd donor car for the whole rear end, torsion tubes, hubs, brakes, diff, axles, driveline, moustach bar+ hanger, gas tank, clutch/ brake assy, shift linkage, all that is to make it single range 4wd.

To get the 4spd d/r, get lucky and find a 1980-81' brat (late model gen 1 brat with the 1800 and d/r) that car alrady has the 4spd d/r, because you need the trans mounts to fit your gen 1 x-member and shift linkage off that specific trans car combo... or you can fab the trans mounts and the linkage... or you can fab in the whole gen 2 rear end, torsion tube and all...

yeah it can be done, but it'll take some blood, sweat and cussing...

hope that clears up some of you q's

ok here we go again...

I have looked into converting a gen 1 2wd wagon to a 4wd and it is not possible unless you feel like spending your life trying to cut apart a 4wd gen 1 to weld under the 2wd. The rear suspension and the way it bolts to the underneath of the body is waaaaaay different, thus not making it worth while to do it. Its much easier to find a gen 1 that is 4wd (wagon, Brat) then it would be to convert, plus the expense... well I'm not gonna get into that one either but trust me on it.

Now that you read that, think about how much work it would be to do it with gen 2 parts into a gen 1....

im not going to buy it if you say it is that much work thank you for helping me save lots of money im just going to buy meater tire for my 4ha (1983subaru seat look brand new with a 1 inch hole and thats it)

You can swap in the 4spd d/r, but its a ton of work...you will need a 1st gen 4wd donor car for the whole rear end, torsion tubes, hubs, brakes, diff, axles, driveline, moustach bar+ hanger, gas tank, clutch/ brake assy, shift linkage, all that is to make it single range 4wd.

To get the 4spd d/r, get lucky and find a 1980-81' brat (late model gen 1 brat with the 1800 and d/r) that car alrady has the 4spd d/r, because you need the trans mounts to fit your gen 1 x-member and shift linkage off that specific trans car combo... or you can fab the trans mounts and the linkage... or you can fab in the whole gen 2 rear end, torsion tube and all...

yeah it can be done, but it'll take some blood, sweat and cussing...

hope that clears up some of you q's

Here is ryan's pickle flexing in a back yard near you, done up by mudrat. its a 78' wagon, ea81, 4spd d/r an 82 brat rear torsion tube and 3" block kit, gives it a funky, wider in the rump roast look, not going to win any beauty contests, but it drives down the road pretty good last I checked. Like they say, 'anything's possible, note the far from stock rear suspension and fender flairs.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6179&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

just learned that green car is up for sale as a carcass, the rear torsion tube setup is also around, contact mudrat... Cabobaroo, I totally agree that to go 2wd to 4wd on a gen one is not a bolt on process, but with a modified rear end like this that bolts to the angled mounts just in front of the rear tires... it should fit right in... I'll confirm on thursday at the j/y