Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ground Clearance

LosDiosDeVerde86

I would post to say that you can get some nice skidplates for the EJ cars, and they are only like $150 or so. Perhaps Rallitek carries them. http://www.rallitek.com/products.asp?ID=741&PP=Y&HB=&ACC=&SP=

However, since you haven't asked and seem to have an overly sarcastic tone about you, i'll just let you be.

Have fun.

well fine then...i'll just ignore your message, not click on the link, and therefore not thank you for the trouble of helping me out..

thanks

:lol:

I believe Primitive Racing also makes a skid plate for EJ cars. It would be a bit meaner than that Rallitek one, as its intended for rally.

I didnt know nobody in this thread knew about Primitive or I would have posted the link with my post... So here it is:

http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/skid.htm

FYI, get the 3/16th

96 Legacy ls + outback struts + 205/75R15 Wilderness AT's w/ 5/32nds tread = 9.5" clearance at the pinch and 10" at the rear diff...

not too shabby

pics to come

no body lift by the way

LosDios, still waiting for those pics. No problems with tires rubbing against innner fender or splash guards during tight turns/compressions or you did some modifications? So the lift is entirely due to taller tires, while all OB struts are doing is allowing to mount those tall tires? Otherwise everything is stock?

LosDios, still waiting for those pics. No problems with tires rubbing against innner fender or splash guards during tight turns/compressions or you did some modifications? So the lift is entirely due to taller tires, while all OB struts are doing is allowing to mount those tall tires? Otherwise everything is stock?

not quite, the OB struts are longer too...

not quite, the OB struts are longer too...

I thought that struts do not add to height of the vehicle, just facilitate shock absorbtion. The springs, on the other hand, are the ones that keep the shocks at about the middle of their travel, so that it is the springs that will support the car body higher up (in addition to any lift kit which basically adds shims to various points of suspension/drivetrain/body contacts.

I thought that struts do not add to height of the vehicle, just facilitate shock absorbtion. The springs, on the other hand, are the ones that keep the shocks at about the middle of their travel, so that it is the springs that will support the car body higher up (in addition to any lift kit which basically adds shims to various points of suspension/drivetrain/body contacts.

true, but so can the struts, the struts are longer between the bottom spring mount, and where it attaches at the bottom. same idea, but different. you can also add tighter springs (like those off an OB, or forester) and lift it more.

true, but so can the struts, the struts are longer between the bottom spring mount, and where it attaches at the bottom. same idea, but different. you can also add tighter springs (like those off an OB, or forester) and lift it more.

Now I got it. Thanks, Chux.

Alex

Here's a pic of the difference between a 95 Legacy LS strut and a 96 Legacy Outback strut...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=7534&size=big&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

As you can see, the new strut is longer. (That's the Outback strut) So the plate that the springs rest on is higher, therefore raising the car. I've only completed raising the front due to laziness.. I'll raise the rear later. My car looks very funny with the front raised and the back not...

Here's a pic of the difference between a 95 Legacy LS strut and a 96 Legacy Outback strut...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=7534&size=big&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

As you can see, the new strut is longer. (That's the Outback strut) So the plate that the springs rest on is higher, therefore raising the car. I've only completed raising the front due to laziness.. I'll raise the rear later. My car looks very funny with the front raised and the back not...

How much were the outback GR2's?

rubs on hard turns

yeah stock aside from Hellas and cherry bomb

removed intake silencer, cherry bomb, OB struts, 205/75R15 firestone wildernesses, 2 hella 500's

and i'm wrking on taking a 3rd brakelight housing from a ford tauras and making it a hood scoop

scoobyclimbs

Ground clearance on my outback is great .However ,the body clearance is what sux! That's where the Hummer and other 4x4's have the advantage!!!

ya the outbacks have a fat arse... when i drive my parents legacy it always feels like i'm gonna hit something with it...

Ground clearance on my outback is great .However ,the body clearance is what sux! That's where the Hummer and other 4x4's have the advantage!!!

Ya, I actually think my Impreza would have better body clearance in that reguard... Without the bumpers (not the metal part, the covers) , and with a body lift, it could have very steep entry/departure angles.

How much were the outback GR2's?

I want to say around $65 each at rockauto.com plus shipping. Be sure to order the Bellows too, if your current ones are blown, which is very likely.

Bellows are $15 each, plus shipping..

Be sure to have spring strut compressors. I had posted some time earlier a writeup on doing this... I'm sure you could find it by looking up all of my posts, or doing a search. If not, I might be able to find it.

My recommendation is to go to the KYB website, find the model #'s you need from their site for a 96 Outback, since I think I remember your tagline stating having a 95 Legacy? Anyhow, it gained me around 1.5" gain.. If I were to add stiffer or Outback Springs, it would likely gain me the full 2" that everyone on here seems to pimp.

Of course, now my camber is screwed up, so I'll have to get that fixed by someone with a bit more automotive skill than I. (Like a real mechanic.)

I'll have to upload my before/after pix some time soon when I'm not feeling lazy..