Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ground Clearance

LosDiosDeVerde86

CHECK THIS OUT:

I was just doing some research. I found 10 autos that I felt people whould be willing to offroad. Here's the ground clearance of each so that all you guys can compare yours to it and than brag that your Soob is higher than the big boys.

(These are all current model years and I left out pickups being that they have alterior motives)

Ford Explorer - 8.2"

Subaru Outback - 8.4"

Toyota 4runner - 9.1"

Hummer* H3 - 8.4"

Hummer H2 SUT - 9.9"

GMC Yukon - 9.8"

Nissan Xterra** - 9.5"

Honda Ridgeline - 8.2"

Jeep Wranger (Unlimited) - 9.5"

Jeep Wranger (Rubicon) - 10.3"

(*Can also come with optional 33" tires that bring the clearance to 9.1" **Offroad Package)

So there you have it.

Now i know i said i didn't put pickups in and all the smart asses are gonna say "what about the ridgeline...that's a pickup!" no it's not. it's an Accord with a lift and a bucket on the back.

I also didn't could the H3 with optional 33" tires because tire size is irrelivant to factory settings.. get my drift?

It's so cool knowing that i have more ground clearance than an H2 :brow:

thats actually impressive :), a subaru has more clearance than a hummer :lol: my wagon has way more than a hummer then, with a lil under 13 in the front and right at 13 in the rear.

yeah.. it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside.

i think that it's even more impressive that mine beats a hummer with NO body lift!

nothing against you guys that have them..

gound clearance is awesome, I know I've got better than virtually any vehicle out there. but suspension travel and flex is where it's at. those few inches of clearance aren't anything to the suspension travel associated with solid axles.

our BIG advantage, is the point in the middle where the t-case is on those trucks, we have virtually nothing hanging below the unibody there, I have almost 20" of clearance at the "high-center" point.

gound clearance is awesome, I know I've got better than virtually any vehicle out there. but suspension travel and flex is where it's at. those few inches of clearance aren't anything to the suspension travel associated with solid axles.

our BIG advantage, is the point in the middle where the t-case is on those trucks, we have virtually nothing hanging below the unibody there, I have almost 20" of clearance at the "high-center" point.

i'm afraid that my oil pan is in danger. are there any shallower oil pans out there for the ej's?

Awsome; another lifted EJ. Nice increase in ground clearance.

As noted above however, ground clearance is but one thing. Those other vehicles have superior live axle suspension travel and gearing :( Apples to oranges really; but that never stopped me from offroading! Just remember to floor it when needed :grin:

Rage it (and take some pics of you rage'n it offroad!) :brow:

right, the rear diff on trucks hangs about as low as the rims do, so that all pretty much depends on the aspect ratio of their tires + or - an inch or so

don't forget though... a lot of those new trucks listed actually have independent rear suspension... like the exploder and the ridgeline(i think)... don't hey the ridgeline is real-time 4WD... so its even worst... and the exploder is optional 4WD!

so really you have more ground clearance and they can't brag about articulation... so subies are taller, just as able off-road, and won't roll over when you slam around a corner!

horray for subies!!!

don't forget though... a lot of those new trucks listed actually have independent rear suspension... like the exploder and the ridgeline(i think)... don't hey the ridgeline is real-time 4WD... so its even worst... and the exploder is optional 4WD!

so really you have more ground clearance and they can't brag about articulation... so subies are taller, just as able off-road, and won't roll over when you slam around a corner!

horray for subies!!!

It's still an apples to oranges comparison. Comparing a modified vehicle to a stock vehicle.

Clearance is good but....

How hard is it to turn those tires off-road?

It can be tough to push those tires with a stock gear ratio. Climbing over stuff at low speeds is rough on the clutch.

hes got something called horsepower.

get off the gearing already, you just need to learn to floor it!

I get what you're saying. But, there's lots of situations that just plain require finesse. I can show you on my vids just what I mean. Take for example how Ken pushed past the trees and into the mudhole with no problems. Mike W following punched it, slid sideways and completely crushed this door up against a tree.

Plenty of the trails we go on twist and wind thru trees that rub your mirrors on both sides because they're so thin. Forget bringing a full size chevy, much less a HahaHummer.

Also think along the lines like this: These newer types that are getting into the lifted world tend to cost a little more. I understand beating the piss out of a 600 dollar hatch with 5 hundred bucks worth of lift and tires.

Take me as example, my OBS cost 4500 plus tax and license. Wheels/tires, struts/springs, clutch, other misc. stuff and I'm into it for over 6 grand. It's pretty too. I'm not too keen on the idea of bashing it up against a tree cuz the manly thing to do is give it more gas.

To me, there's nothing wrong with going down the road and looking good too.

What if I want to sell it? Big dents depreciate the value like nothing else.

The power comes up at about 2-3grand. In first gear at 3 grand, you're flying way to fast to be able to control it in a sticky situation. Popping the clutch after a big rev will just smoke the clutch when trying it with bigger tires.

I have the BYB lift from PK 4"/3" and that sits me about 12" at the rear diff. with 215/75/15 MTs. As for power I have the stock EA81 in my 82 Brat w/5spd mod and no lack of power. I often get comments from the guys with lifted trucks and jeeps (all possitive) about how well it does. We have measured clearances and I sit higher than my buddy in his 6" lifted GMC truck w/35" swampers. The only negative is the water flows in the bottom of my door sooner than his truck cause it sits higher off the ground at the door bottoms.

articulation... so subies are taller, just as able off-road, and won't roll over when you slam around a corner!

horray for subies!!!

Drivers cause rigs to flip, not clearance. Here's a non lifted Brat on 195/70/14s.

MudratrightingTodd.jpg

(pictured: at least one Brat owner who owes Mudrat a foavor.)

It's still an apples to oranges comparison. Comparing a modified vehicle to a stock vehicle.

Well, this summer I took my stock '89 GL wagon up an overgrown dirt road. Not bad at all. Probably could have made it in FWD if I floored it, but I put it in 4WD lo just to crawl over some bumps slower. My friend was following in a '03 Ford Explorer. Still made it but she had alot harder time because even with about the same clearance, it's much wider and heavier, and couldn't dart between trees and bushes near as easily. And there was one section that she only had about 4" to spare before rolling off the edge, whereas I still had over a foot. A hummer would have been about a foot to wide to even fit on the road....:grin:

The forest service actually has difficulty with that when the national guard tried to help with forest fires -- the hummers don't fit up any of the overgrown 5' wide forest roads....

what i've gotten to know is the following:

if you're in grass and slipping - put it in second

if you're in a hairy situation and think you might slide - slow down/take your time/put it in second

if you just want to tank over things and not lose power - keep it slow/keep it around 2500rpm...in second

if you want to be rowdy and loud but not go crazy crashy bangy into rockie - put it in second

basically when i'm not cruising down a road (of some sort) making a big dust cloud...i'm rollin' in second :burnout:

if you havn't picked up on it by now, i have an auto.. but that doesn't stop me from using it like an auto :brow:

I would post to say that you can get some nice skidplates for the EJ cars, and they are only like $150 or so. Perhaps Rallitek carries them. http://www.rallitek.com/products.asp?ID=741&PP=Y&HB=&ACC=&SP=

However, since you haven't asked and seem to have an overly sarcastic tone about you, i'll just let you be.

Have fun.