Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cyclops light - WTF?

casm

Okay, after looking at the third car in from front in the picture below:

brat21.jpg

I guess I now know what the 'cyclops eye' Brats were. But I'm curious as to how it operated - only with the high beams, or as a foglight? What happens to the Subaru badge when it's on? In any event it's very cool, reminding me of older Tatras.

They were offered on '81-2 wagons and '82 Brats. They were operated by a switch and timer system. They only operated with the low beams. When the high beams were activated the center light would shut off automatically. It would relight after the high beams were lowered.

Its on my 1980 wagon, could be an Austin addition, but the stock switch is there, so i don't think so.

its available on 80-82 GL 4wd subarus only, including the 82 brat (and i am not sure about the gen1?)

and on the 80 and 81 modles, it should have been so it only comes on with the headlights (low or high) and when the switch is on....

it is stock on the waterwagon Noah :D

Anyone got an owners book handy...

My 82 Hatch would only work the center lamp with LOW beams on.

I always wanted the center lamp to work with the high beams :banghead:

My '82 GL wagon was only with the highbeams. And only if you held the switch in, since the catch was broken:brow:.

I wired mine so it comes on whenever you want. when I see oncoming motorcyclists, I use it to flash them a biker hello. It really works well with low beams, especially in heavy fog.

just love it. I stick a plastic pumpkin behind the brushguard and blow the kids minds on Halloween, too.

Dave