Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just finished the 6 lug conversion..... sweeeet

gunslinger

swerve and I just finished milling out the wheel plates on the 87 GL. it's cake (if you happen to have a mill...... whiiiiiich i so happen to.:grin: ) mines next. he seemed to think that the spare plates that I pulled out of storage would work well on his........ so now i get to do another set for the battle wagon. mooch. swampers come next. :brow: cant WAIT to get the wagon out of the garage with the lift finished and swampers on it. THE TRAILS AWAIT!!!!

swerve and I just finished milling out the wheel plates on the 87 GL. it's cake (if you happen to have a mill...... whiiiiiich i so happen to.:grin: ) mines next. he seemed to think that the spare plates that I pulled out of storage would work well on his........ so now i get to do another set for the battle wagon. mooch. swampers come next. :brow: cant WAIT to get the wagon out of the garage with the lift finished and swampers on it. THE TRAILS AWAIT!!!!
I think I will do that and take pictures of each step and them post them here at USMB.

Any sugestions? replace bearings? what not to do? what to remember? links that you found useful?

thanks,

Dave

I think I will do that and take pictures of each step and them post them here at USMB.

Any sugestions? replace bearings? what not to do? what to remember? links that you found useful?

thanks,

Dave

only things that i can remeber to do is to make sure to make the drilling of the holes a 3 or 4 step process - EG - step the bits up bigger and bigger till you get to the right size. AND FOR THE RECORD, 35/64 is the correct completed size to seat the lugs. too big a bit will burn it out fast. lastly, dont forget to mill the back of the plates flat just enough so the lugs seat properly @ 90 degrees. if you dont, then your lugs will be crosseyed :banghead: . i would also recommend doing the bearings while youre in there seeing how they go bad so often anyway. throwing 15's and 28 or 29's on there will only ruin older bearings quicker. good luck to all with this project. AND HAVE PATIENCE!!! dont drill the sh** out too fast. you WILL regret it!!