Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pull engine for clutch replacement?

Salty

Sliding it forwards is an option, however, I dont have small girly hands to wedge into the space to remove the clutchpack. :lol:

Since you're already that far.. might as well pull it out and stick the block on a table to polish up all the chrome.. and/or to install some chrome to polish. ;)

That's the spirit!

that's exactly the way I work in my garage.

Just yank it. there is surely something else that needs looking at!

And, I don't think I've ever seen chrome in the engine bay of an older subie.

there is always a first time

Sliding it forwards is an option, however, I dont have small girly hands to wedge into the space to remove the clutchpack. :lol:

Since you're already that far.. might as well pull it out and stick the block on a table to polish up all the chrome.. and/or to install some chrome to polish. ;)

We just pulled my EA81 Sat to do a clutch swap...made it pretty easy to do..plus while it was out it was easier to do some other stuff (reseal and stuff). I would just yank it..save yourself some headache. I now know I could do it myself if I had too thanks to Moosens,subeman90,and Subafreak.....and I am a girl!!

I've done it both ways on EA81, EA82 and EJ22 soobs. Although it would seem easier to leave the engine in the car, If you have a engine hoist or a long pipe and a buddy, you might as well pull the engine. Doing so, you can spray off/scrub the engine compartment out, get all the sand and grime off the crossmember so your engine mounts sit flush and clean. Tighten up the oil pan 10mm bolts also while you got the engine out.

And remember to change the rear main seal if you pull the flywheel off the crank. Good luck

*Should take you less than 2 hours to do the job start to finish* -depending on your mechanic skills-