Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine/ignition/intake interchange??

dptyrob

I have a fuel injected ea82 engine from an 89 GL that I have listed for sale in a local paper. I just had a call on the engine from a woman needing an engine for her 87 Wagon with 1.6L turbo. She doesn't know a whole lot about her car and I know zilch about a car of her make/model, so I'm trying to find out if there's a way to install the engine I have in her car. I realize the turbo is probably not an option, but what about everything else? Will everything else bolt up, including accessories, intake, and ignition? Sorry I haven't searched yet. I'll start doing that now, but I'm hoping for a quick reply. Thanks.

Actually, if she has the turbo EA82, and your's is NA, then it's not a good fit. The Turbo's have dual-intake port's, and the NA's do not. Plus the compression ratio is too high on the NA (due to the pistons as mentioned above). The Turbo's also have larger mains for the crank. Basically it won't work unless she wants to drop the turbo, and have someone do a lot of wiring to fit your entire long block + intake and ignition into her turbo car. Lot of work for a car that she could replace for less than $1k.

There is no difference in the crank bearings (or anything under the pistons) between turbo/non turbo.

But, as mentioned above, there is no point in her trying to adapt turbo bits on your engine - easier to just get an ea82t or use the N/A engine as is.

There is no difference in the crank bearings (or anything under the pistons) between turbo/non turbo.

But, as mentioned above, there is no point in her trying to adapt turbo bits on your engine - easier to just get an ea82t or use the N/A engine as is.

I explained to these folks that if they wanted to use this engine that they would probably need to forget the turbo. My biggest question right now is regarding how their ignition system/wiring and computer are going to mesh with that of the engine I'm selling. I guess I can hook them up with the computer if need be. From what I gather there shouldn't be any problems with everything bolting up.

Unless I've misunderstood what I've read, some of the other posts I've seen on this board indicate that the lower compression ea82 engine can do quite well with the turbo and heads from an ea82t, but I couldn't see doing a half hearted job and swapping all of that over without going through everything really well; at least the heads. By the time that's all done, they'd be just as well to go through the rest of their old engineand overhaul it IMHO.